Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge's Primal Journal page

Edge is offline Member

Edge's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    I need an extra push to improve my numbers (April averages below). So this is where the journal comes in (accountability).

141g protein (33%)
    137g carbs (32%)
    153g fat (35%)

Quick notes of relevance:
    - ~175 lb. endurance athlete/triathlete, and desk-jockey by day.
    - Lots of swim, bike, and run (chronic cardio - but I love it, so that's not about to change).
    - Some strength training. I'm pretty muscular for an endurance athlete, which has little benefit in the sport, but I like the way it looks.
    - I have no problem with a few more carbs before a race or big workout, but want to get them down for the "normal" days.
    - Carb sources are mainly nuts (including peanut butter - I know), vegetables, fruit, and beer (and probably in that order).
    - Wife isn't really on-board. Which would be helpful, but not totally necessary. She loves her granola and wheat bread. I do most of the cooking, and when she cooks for me, mostly understands what I won't eat.
    - Small kids are also time consuming (less time for food prep) and hard to be around (because they want to snack on crap all the time, which I'm working on).

I'm currently looking into replacing some of my post-workout or evening snacking with a protein shake. Not really sure where to start with that.
    Last edited by Edge; 04-15-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Edge is offline Member
    Today:

163g protein (35%)
    149g carbs (33%)
    145g fat (32%)

Regret(s): Left-over sweet potatoes (easy - just had to nuke) for lunch and McDonald's cone with family ("treat") tonight.
    Positive(s): Cut my cashew/almond intake to about half of what it has been lately, which is still too much (about a cup).
    Workout(s): Easy 3-mile run.
    Note(s): Had eggplanet (grilled) for the first time in 15-20 years. I stayed away all these years because I didn't like it last time I had it. I figured I was a kid then and it was worth another shot. Ick.

Edge is offline Member
    Today:

158g protein (35%)
    117g carbs (25%)
    180g fat (40%)

Regret(s): I had 8 eggs w/chorizo today. 3 for breakfast, 5 for dinner. Probably a few too many. Daughter had a friend over after school and wife ordered pizza, but forgot to take something out of the freezer for me, so I had to make due with what I had, and we're low on fresh items.
    Positive(s): Didn't touch the pizza, the breadsticks, or the cinammon rolls she made for breakfast (man she and the kids had a bad food day).
    Workout(s): Sore ankle, and I have a race on Sunday, so I took the day off to rest and ice the crap out of it.
    Note(s): I finally bought some protein powder today. Waiting to try it post-workout. Watched Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution - love it. Started watching Bigger, Stronger, Faster... interesting. Probably won't have a chance to journal tomorrow, going out of town for a race for a few days.

Edge is offline Member
    I started getting on track Friday (4/16), but kind of fell off the wagon over the weekend. I was supposed to run a 1/2 marathon on Sunday, but mildly sprained my ankle and bailed. Being a "game time decision", I still "fueled up" on Saturday. I didn't track what I ate online (out of town), but 200g of carbs were obtained quite easily, I'm sure. Sunday wasn't much better, dealing with a bout of depression due to missing my second race with a lower leg/foot injury this season, and putting some of my future training in jeopardy, I spent the rest of the day making bad decisions as some sort of an f'd up coping mechanism.

155g protein (34%)
    158g carbs (35%)
    139g fat (31%)

Regret(s): Too many to list for Saturday. Sunday I skipped breakfast and binged the rest of the day, and on poor choices.
    Positive(s): None to speak of.
    Workout(s): Still injured.
    Note(s): Today (Monday) is off to a better start, but it's going to be very hard on me to not train. I'm at least 3 days from going for a run/bike/swim.

Edge is offline Member
    Yesterday (Monday, 4/19):

172g protein (43%)
    140g carbs (35%)
    90g fat (22%)

Regret(s): Finishing my son's uneaten ice cream.
    Postive(s): Less carbs than Sunday (if that's a positive).
    Workout(s): Still injured, so no swim/bike/run, but I lifted a little.
    Notes: Weird how little fat I got, for me. It shows that I've run out of sausage, and eggs. Groceries today.
    Goal(s): Do a little better than yesterday. Rehab ankle. Finish pullup bar project.

Edge is offline Member
    Tuesday, April 20th:

195g protein (36%)
    165g carbs (31%) - the bulk of these coming from banana, cashews, greek yogurt, and salad greens
    180g fat (33%)

Regret(s): If I can even call it a "regret", it's that I had a cup of greek yogurt after lunch and after dinner. It's still new to me, and so much better than the traditional Dannon/Yoplait stuff. It calls my name from the fridge. I like the texture, and more subtle flavors.
    Positive(s): I ate quite a bit today, and the carbs were still very high (from okay sources), but I like my ratios a lot better.
    Workout(s): Ankle still sore, so no run, but I did get on the trainer for an hour. That felt pretty good.
    Goal(s): Today I'm going to concentrate on depriving my body of carbs. "Carb-fasting", just for the sake of it.
    Notes: I can't wait to watch Food, Inc. tonight. I've never seen it. I've been on the waiting list at the library for a while, but I'm still over 600(!) deep, so this is a nice treat to not have to wait. I won't go the Netflix route because we don't have that much time for movies this time of year.

Edge is offline Member
    Wednesday, April 21st:

192g protein (42%)
    89g carbs (19%)
    179g fat (39%)

Regret(s): None really. I ate a bit much, but there's nothing new with that. If anything, I could cut back on the ketchup.
    Positive(s): Ratios much, much better.
    Workout(s): A little more time on the trainer. Ankle feeling better. Possible run on Thursday.
    Goal(s): Okay, I proved to myself I could de-carb a bit. I don't feel a need to get much lower than I did on Thursday though. I am an endurance athlete afterall. However, after starting to watch Food, Inc. last night, I want to concentrate on obtaining food from better sources. "Healthy" food from the grocery store isn't always just that. This isn't news to me. I just needed some motivation. Time to start getting picky about those sources. Farmers market on Saturday.

Edge is offline Member
    Thursday, April 22nd:

189g protein
    132g carbs
    123g fat

Regret(s): 1 1/2 big ol' servings of Almond Breeze Vanilla (Sweetened). Damn that stuff is good. Heavenly even.
    Positive(s): Carbs below average.
    Workout(s): Went for a short, pain-free run! Yes!
    Goal(s): I think I might have packed on a pound or two with my high-carb intake and and lack of training over the last week. I need to be particularly disciplined to get back on track. I've got an "A" race in June I went to be light, fit, and fast for. Getting on track starts NOW!
    Notes: Finished watching Food, Inc. Good material. Nothing new, but nicely organized.

Edge is offline Member
    Ah, I took a little break from everything (internet). Reboot feels good. Got a bunch of crap done around the house, etc.

Sunday, 4/25:

147g protein
    132g carbs
    150g fats

Regret(s): Not too many. My carb count was only as high as it was because I did a long "brick" (that's a bike followed by a run) workout and ate some figs on the bike to practice fueling for long-course racing (versus traditional gels, etc.).
    Positive(s): Finished my pullup bar, finally. I'll post pictures eventually.
    Workout(s): Coming back nicely from ankle injury. I got in a nice long brick today.
    Goal(s): I felt nice and lean this morning. My goal is to get out and swim today, in addition to my scheduled run.
    Notes: Plenty of good food in the house right now. So eating right won't be a problem for a bit. Thinking about trying to make some jerky using the oven (don't have a dehydrator) soon.

Edge is offline Member
    I've been extremely absent lately. I recently found myself suddenly and shockingly unemployed. It was a major shock to the system. The business I helped to build from nothing (8 years ago) is now a part of my past. Stress has been at times quite overwhelming. I've been high as a kite too, with anticipation of new opportunities. The mind is a tricky thing. An interview today and two scheduled, with probably a couple more pending has eased tension a tiny bit at least for today, but I'm struggling a little with sleep and my training. Eating hasn't been so bad, but I've had to go with the cheapest possible options (usually not organic, I regret) just in case I don't find myself working soon. I haven't even been tracking my food, which I always did before, but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm putting in my body.

So I'll get things turned around and get back to primal life and supporting my family the way I really want to soon enough. Until then, shoot me a message if you need a guy with any of the following super-skills:

• IT Management
    • Project Management
    • Team Leadership
    • Resource Management
    • Business Development
    • Business & Strategic Planning
    • Relationship Development
    • Marketing & Sales Strategies
    • Product Development
    • Growth Strategy
    • IT & Business Consulting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast