Thread: Matsoni yoghurt page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Matsoni yoghurt

Shop Now
    I've just made some Matsoni yoghurt - I can't believe how easy it is! The first lot took a long time to set (over 36 hours) and then divided itself into curds and whey, so I took some of the thick set stuff and stirred it into fresh milk and overnight it has set into a firm and delicious yoghurt - at room temperature (UK = cold kitchen!).

But what I don't know is if it has the same healthy bacteria as, say, Kefir? Or less, or different? Does anyone know?

If there are a different spread of probiotics to Kefir, then I shall eat Matsoni one day, Kefir the next and either sauerkraut or fermented carrot / ginger with some meals. I can't help feeling that as a wide a range of probiotic food as possible is a good idea...

The matsoni is DELICIOUS with ground cacao nibs, cinnamon and mashed banana stirred through it. Nectar!

Added honey to the yogurt tonight - possibly big error! Does the antibacterial properties of honey kill the probiotic qualities of the yogurt??!!

MrSnstr is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like Matsoni just has slightly different strains and species of lactic acid bacteria. What does it taste like?

Honey with it is fine; and probably delicious.

It tastes really nice - not as "sharp" as kefir, but noticeably acidic even so. Lovely texture - sort of a "wobbly" set. I've also discovered that it makes a delicious cucumber raitha.