Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The first Decade of the Century page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

The first Decade of the Century

Shop Now
    I am still yet to hear a good term that is our own cultural creation equivalent of "the aughts." I say the letter O if referring to any year between 2001-2009, as in, "I was married in O 7."

but tonight a good one finally occured to me. I am going to call the aughts "the dubs." As in, "I was married in dub 7." It was the Dubya era, the emergence and popularization of the seeds of future music (dub-step), and, dub=20, so the calendar reference is imbedded and logically consistent.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    And George W. was the president for most of it. Dubya indeed.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I have wondered what to call it, but I have to say, I don't like the sound of any of those.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I have wondered what to call it, but I have to say, I don't like the sound of any of those.
    It would catch on, especially if the tweetisphere took hold. I really don't like it when people say 0-12 instead of 20-12 or two thousand and twelve.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    I prefer two thousand and twelve. It is what it is. I hated oh seven, or zero nine. Screw that bs.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I say "twenty-twelve." It makes logical sense considering that people said "nineteen-(whatever)." No one said "One thousand nine hundred ninety-nine." =P I've never heard anyone say "oh-12." That's just stupid.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    I say "twenty-twelve." It makes logical sense considering that people said "nineteen-(whatever)." No one said "One thousand nine hundred ninety-nine." =P I've never heard anyone say "oh-12." That's just stupid.
    This plus, why would anyone want to memorialize the "dubya" era?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Bump.

Itd be more like a Eulogy for the Enlightenment, PBird. The global order of things was heralded by Dubya. The idiots coming out of college now are the Dub generation, whose ignorance was scientifically crafted by Dubyas Dept of Education.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Bump.

Itd be more like a Eulogy for the Enlightenment, PBird. The global order of things was heralded by Dubya. The idiots coming out of college now are the Dub generation, whose ignorance was scientifically crafted by Dubyas Dept of Education.
    I graduated college in 2012. Now I have a nice salary. You should realize that many of us "idiots" are in our 20s and 30s, and make up a sizeable portion of the readers of this public forum. We are also officially called "Generation Y" or "Millennial Generation," born in the 80s and 90s. I judge you no less based on when you happened to crawl out of a womb, so what's with the assumption that I am ignorant based on when I was born?

As for calling it the "Dub" generation, that is clever. But I don't like it. I think my generation should be the one to name it, since our childhoods were shaped by the events. I do agree that George W Bush was significant, as he was president for most of the decade. I also think the economic collapse is significant. As per what to name it, I don't know. I don't think Dub would fit; it has a negative connotation.
    Last edited by kathleen; 06-19-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    How bout the "damn I wish we were as cool as generation X generation"?

I actually thought they were the Generation Y though? Or the millennium generation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast