Thread: low cortisol and low testosterone, body comp page

primalsun is offline Member

low cortisol and low testosterone, body comp

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,
    So I recently went to the doctor for lab work and it turns out I have low testosterone and low cortisol. I'm a 19 yr old male and she said the testosterone levels were that of an aging man. She is a naturopath and loved my diet and lifestyle, and said that it is likely an issue with nutrient absorption in my gut that isn't allowing my adrenals to function properly. So that sucks.

Anyway, I do strength training 4x week and don't really do much cardio or high intensity stuff (which turns out to be a good thing as they stress adrenals more). I eat a lot of red meat, and moderate carbs mostly from root vegetables. While I'm happy with my current weight (5'6" and 165 lbs-- a little high but I have super broad shoulders), my body composition upsets me. I feel like for someone who is young, lifts heavy weight often, and eats super clean, my body composition should be better. Am I wrong to think that my low levels of testosterone and low levels of cortisol are hurting my attempts at having a better body comp? Current body fat is around 17%, and I used to be pretty overweight at about 30% body fat (2+ yrs ago). Also, has anyone fixed either low cortisol or low testosterone and noticed improved body comp? Thanks y'all!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    What are your estrogen levels, get them looked at, with low test you probably have higher estrogen which yes could cause you to be carrying more fat and reducing your muscle building ability. If she thinks it's something in your gut, try a good probiotic (like Mark's) for a few months and see if you don't see some changes.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    17% and you are complaining?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

primalsun is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    17% and you are complaining?
    Well, yeah. 17% for a guy isn't that low, and I've got some excess fat on my chest anf lower back that don't respond at all to caloric restriction. Lifting heavy and eating clean got me here, but I can't lose the rest it seems.

ctheflow is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey primalsun,

Have you considered IF? Do you use it at all? Personally I completely reversed my low T (ridiculously below normal range) by consistently IF'ing (not getting crazy about it, but steadily made it into a daily habit to fast until lunch) on top of using most of Mark's training/exercise recommendations and keeping diet pretty balanced and as Primal as possible. Over a year and a half my T sky rocketed (completely naturally) because of this. I credit IF and doing fasted resistance/sprint training as often as possible.

Hope this helps!