Thread: Sweet Potato vs Fruit - Carb question page

thex1138 is offline Junior Member

Sweet Potato vs Fruit - Carb question

Mark says that 50-100g carbs is great for losing weight, and 100-150g of carbs per day is great for maintaining weight...

A small/medium sized sweet potato has approximately 20-25g carb.. This is no different than several primal-accepted fruits... Yet Mark says to moderate sweet potatoes to only a few times per week, while he says you can enjoy fruit daily.

Why can't we just remove fruit from our diet and instead replace it with 1-2 sweet potatoes? Less fructose, no more tooth pain from the acid in fruits, and same carb value.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thex1138 View Post

Why can't we just remove fruit from our diet and instead replace it with 1-2 sweet potatoes? Less fructose, no more tooth pain from the acid in fruits, and same carb value.
    You can. A lot of people do. I don't think anyone is having trouble with it.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I second that.
    I cut the fruit out, and have a sweet potato post workout 4 times a week.
    Turned out to be a good move for me.
    Nothing wrong with fruit, but I don't tolerate it very well.
    Makes me bloat up, gives me horrible gas, and makes me want to eat everything in the house.
    Sweet potatoes don't have that effect on me.
    You have to find what works for you, and the only way to do that is to try it for yourself and see how you react to it.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thex1138 View Post
    A small/medium sized sweet potato has approximately 20-25g carb.. This is no different than several primal-accepted fruits... Yet Mark says to moderate sweet potatoes to only a few times per week, while he says you can enjoy fruit daily.
    sadly, mark gets this wrong. he's a great guy, but not infallible.

otzi Guest
    I think the starchy carb recommendations will be changing across the paleosphere soon.

When I first started with Primal Blueprint, I lumped all carbs together...I couldn't understand the difference between the 25g carbs in a bottle of gatoraid and the 25g carbs in a banana or potato chips. There is a huge difference.

If you look at food labels, they list carbs, then break it down into sugar and dietary fiber. The balance should theoretically be 'starch'. There seems to be a movement afoot for people to stop limiting starch. There also seems to be a movement afoot to stop lumping all carbs together and talk about them in their real identities: modified starch, resistant starch, fructose, glucose, sucrose, fiber, etc...

I think that paleo/primal made people fear 'Carbs' when they should have been fearing the modified starch found in processed flour and certain sugars.

Read more at: Resistant starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Resistant starch (RS) is starch and starch degradation products that escape digestion in the small intestine of healthy individuals.[1] Resistant starch is considered the third type of dietary fiber, as it can deliver some of the benefits of insoluble fiber and some of the benefits of soluble fiber.

Some carbohydrates, such as sugars and most starch, are rapidly digested and absorbed as glucose into the body through the small intestine and subsequently used for short-term energy needs or stored. Resistant starch, on the other hand, resists digestion and passes through to the large intestine where it acts like dietary fiber.

Resistant starch has been categorized into four types:

RS1 Physically inaccessible or digestible resistant starch, such as that found in seeds or legumes and unprocessed whole grains

RS2 Resistant starch that occurs in its natural granular form, such as uncooked potato, green banana flour and high amylose corn

RS3 Resistant starch that is formed when starch-containing foods are cooked and cooled such as in legumes,[2] bread, cornflakes and cooked-and-chilled potatoes, pasta salad or sushi rice. The process of cooking out the starch and cooling it is called retrogradation.

RS4 Starches that have been chemically modified to resist digestion. This type of resistant starches can have a wide variety of structures and are not found in nature.

There is some discussion about resistant dextrins being described as "resistant starch". Resistant dextrins are not starches, and they can be soluble or insoluble. They might be described as "starch degradation products", which is literally included in the EURESTA definition, but their characteristics and performance are very different than insoluble resistant starches.
    and: Starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A modified starch is a starch that has been chemically modified to allow the starch to function properly under conditions frequently encountered during processing or storage, such as high heat, high shear, low pH, freeze/thaw and cooling

mark h is offline Junior Member
    Sweet potato is my favorite food. Closely followed by bananas. I could not ever do without them.
    Keep it going, Mark

Cool thanks guys! Now comes the dreaded time where I must start carb counting everyday to find what zone effectively gets rid of my anxiety.. Hope I don't have to go VLC/Keto!!!

Oh, P.S., is it okay to eat 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes at once and get in 50-75ish carbs all in one sitting?

AussieNana is offline Member
    Thex1138, you say you have anxiety - I had severe morning panic attacks with generalized anxiety the rest of the day until I found I was molybdemon (sp?) deficient. Its a trace element we need in the diet and I was totally lacking in it. I needed to supplement for a couple of years till I could do without it. Apparently its an uncommon cause but if its you then no other changes in the amount or type of carb you eat will make a difference.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mark h View Post
    Sweet potato is my favorite food. Closely followed by bananas. I could not ever do without them.
    I mash half a banana in my sweet potato. They have become two of my favorite foods also - even better together.