Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'sleeping fast' vs 'waking fast'? page 2

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sleeping fasts seem to be working for me. I, for one, find it exceedingly difficult to break a fast while I'm sleeping. I suppose you could try falling asleep with increasingly larger amounts of food in your mount until you choke to death and when you wake to getting the Heimlich maneuver from your spouse you'll know you've gone too far. Edible pillow maybe?

otzi Guest
    Here's my two-cents...

I've always been under the impression that in the healthy individual, all calories are accounted for by the brain as they enter the digestive system and bloodstream. If everything is working right, when you go to sleep that night, your metabolism will increase or decrease depending on needs. During sleep, things like autophagy (cell maintenance), brain repair, nerve repair, muscle repair, etc... occur.

Bodybuilders biggest gains in muscle size occur while they sleep, people on fat-loss diets experience biggest fat-loss drops when they sleep.

I don't think the magic of fat-loss while sleeping is a function of the mandatory fasting, but a function of physiology. That's why it's so important to be sleeping well--it's a tenet of the Primal Blueprint!

It's also why small things like eating breakfast regularly, avoiding blue light after sundown, and not snacking between meals/before bed are important.

Constant overeating and ignoring fullness signals destroy this natural cycle and lead to visceral fat stores and metabolic syndrome.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I, for one, find it exceedingly difficult to break a fast while I'm sleeping.
    You're not trying hard enough

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I believe the body creates palmitic acid from stored glycogen, it does not liberate FFA's to run on.
    no, de novo lipogenesis from carbs will create palmitic acid, but glycogen does not. liver glycogen fuels the brain, that's it's purpose. FFAs fuel the rest when you sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12