Thread: Newbie needing help page

Jamielee is offline Junior Member

Newbie needing help

Primal Fuel
    I have been following the primal plan for over a month. I ate pretty well before. Very little processed foods. No fast food. I have cut out grains completely (big change for me) trying to limit starchy vegetables. I also limit my dairy and fruit. I don't know how much of protein, fat and carbs to eat to loose weight. I have been paying close attention to my carb intake and trying to keep it around 100 grams a day. Since my food no longer has labels how do I know how many grams of each I am eating. I have done some research on the internet but that is timing consuming. I was using my fitness pal to track food and grams but that too is time consuming.
    Digestively I feel great. I always thought I had some gluten intolerance and this has proven that. But I am very disappointed in my results. I have lost no weight and no body fat. Plus I can't keep up with my cycling club n the weekends. My heart rate shoots up quickly. Similar to when I first started riding several years ago. I think this is the right path for me but I am frustrated.

Female
    height 5' 6
    weight 155
    body fat 27 %

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Get a food scale, weigh your food and look up calorie and protein and fat counts on the Internet. There's really no way around it if you want to keep track of what you're eating. You don't have to make an online journal on food tracking site, a written one will do. You may not be losing weight because you haven't been keeping track of calories and being conscious about what you eat. Maybe you're snacking too much, or eating too many calories. You won't know until you start tracking.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Thanks for the feedback. How do I know how many grams protein, fat and carbs is the right amount for weight loss?

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    A lot depends on how you feel. I like this food scale - EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, Silver: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining - it looks like the newer version of one I use. I also like CRON-O-Meter (free download for laptops, nominal charge for a phone app).

If you are interested in performing on low carb, I highly recommend Phinney & Volek (Amazon.com: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (9780983490715): Jeff S. Volek, Stephen D. Phinney: Books) though it will make more sense if you read their first book ... first (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable: Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek: 9780983490708: Amazon.com: Books). They explain it better than I ever could. The adaptation period to low carb takes 2+ weeks, with lots of individual variability. Managing minerals is very important. Periodic "carb up" refeeds are counterproductive.

A lot depends on your goals. If you can lay them out for us, the community is usually happy to help.

I'll take a look at these books. I have a pretty good scale. I would really like to reduce my body fat. I have been working out a lot for several years but haven't, despite my efforts, haven't been able to budge my weight or body fat. I think I have possibly been working too hard and my body is hanging on to things. I believe I am a good eater.Until trying the primal thing I counted calories. I usually ate around 1700 calories a day unless I had a big bike ride and then about 2200. I would work out about an hour a day plus by bike rides on the weekends. Those are about 4 hours or so.