Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy Gives me problems but damn I want some freaking cheese. page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There is sheep cheese out there, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    are there any cheeses out there that won't give me the gut hurts that normal cow cheese/dairy will. I seem to have less of a problem with yogurt and whey.

I'm just craving cheese for some reason.
    If you just have sensitivities to casein in cheese, and do fine with milk you can make your own ricotta cheese by sucking the cream out of milk with a turkey baster.

Also, it could just be that you have an allergy to the many things that they add to cheese nowadays. Such as microbial rennet, vegetable rennet, enzymes, cultures, etc. Try searching for cheese that just contains animal rennet.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I've tried a lot of different things, but in the end, diary sends me into a GI tailspin of pain and regret When I do indulge I find that a little bit of goat feta seems to be ok as long as I only eat one serving (ie not have it in the fridge and eat it multiple days). I've also experimented with making aged cashew cheeses and sauces using nutritional yeast/pumpkin/tahini which have served as rather delicious substitutes.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm not good with dairy - makes me really mucousy.

I can handle a tiny bit of cheese very occasionally although have to keep volumes low and I tend to stay clear of cow's milk cheese.

I use Pecorino (sheep's milk) rather than parmesan, and my absolute favourite is White Lanark, which is an unpasteurised sheep's milk cheese.

I used to be a big cheese (and yoghurt) freak - so obviously the mucousy feeling was constant and just felt like normality - but these days, as I'm not eating bread/crackers etc and not needing to make bland, starchy food taste better, there just doesn't seem to be the need to eat cheese often.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I know what you mean- I love cheese but I'm allergic to dairy. I've tried goat cheese...I would say the flavor takes a little getting used to. I cheat sometimes anyway, and have whatever cheese. I tend to go for the most pungent cheeses I can find (I like blue cheese on steak, for example) because you need less of it.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Raw goat cheese fermented for at least 60 days will leave you with little to no lactose and the smallest casein molecules you'll find at a grocery store (only camel and donkey are better from what I've read. Weird, I know.) If you can't handle this goat cheese, you should just go off it for a while.

Insert my broken record speech - I had a ton of food allergies and they are all really better or completely gone (with the exception of gluten and that's even a tiny bit better) since I did the GAPS diet intro and then 8 months of regular GAPS. If you really want to each cheese again, this, plus some Chinese medicine ;-), will be your best shot.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    What exactly in dairy is responsible for making you mucousy? The fat? protein/casein ? Lactose?
    I'm presuming it's not the lactose because I still get clogged up from yogurt which has most of the lactose broken down. I've tried raw/goats/sheeps etc and I still get those side effects from all of them unfortunately. I miss yogurt.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Casein is the biggest cause of mucus. If the body considers it an allergen, it will also cause mucus production.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Casein is the biggest cause of mucus. If the body considers it an allergen, it will also cause mucus production.
    Thanks for that. Interesting...I didn't know what caused it. I always thought that people with an allergy to dairy had stomach problems after eating it...which I don't.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    Try some raw cheeses...like raw goat cheese, or raw sheep cheese. Also, look for some that have been aged for a while. Like more than a year.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast