Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: bulletproof tea?? page 5

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Since this is always contested as so (the fatburner thing), maybe we should all just recognize that in the context of being a "fat burner" it just mean using fat as fuel more efficiently and with less reliance on glucose. So if you get hypoglycemic attacks, headaches when you don't eat frequently, fatigue, and those other associated symptoms then your not a "good fat burner" yet. You likely also have some of the other symptoms of metabolic syndrome.
    Yes, we can adapt to using fat or ketone bodies more efficient for fuel, but I am not sure that ingesting butter in tea/coffee will have any benefits for becoming a more efficient “fatburner” versus taking the coffee/tea without the butter. Au contraire, in the morning hours the body will rely mostly on fat for the more easy going activities and ingesting butter will not "teach" the body to be more efficient in doing what it is already doing pretty well. An important difference will be that the body will burn the butter from tea or coffee before burning stored bodyfat, and that’s what most people don’t want I guess…

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Actually Gorbag, I've read that making coconut oil your main fat during the switch to ketosis can lower the transition time. As I understand it, the MCTs in coconut oil more efficiently convert to ketones so as long as the MAJORITY of your fat comes from high MCT sources, you are theoretically able to produce more ketones quicker. It's not NECESSARY to do this when transitioning, but it can help.

But then again, simply fasting (without the added fat from your bulletproof beverages) should also keep the ketogenic state just fine after your "nightly fast" so if you really don't feel a need to eat anything on a particular morning there's no need to force the bulletproof beverage thing. I'd keep it to times where I want to maintain ketosis but need an influx of calories to keep me going.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I dunno that it will "teach" the body anything either. It will just control insulin and improve sensitivity as a part of the IF. Curbs hunger and particularly in the case of the coconut oil and such provide ketones for energy. That part may be important for those that arent acclimated and metabolically flexible yet. I see BP anything as more of a crutch for those transitioning into IF. Or as an adjunct for those already in and working into ketosis.

I personally use heavy cream....and probably only ingest about 100-200 calories of it for breakfast. I've been doing this for a longer time though (longer than I've been paleo or even heard of IF'ing in fact) and never have had a significant amount of insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I used to have bulletproof coffee in the morning, with about half a stick of butter and some coconut oil. But eventually I found that to be such a hassle to mix every morning that I switched back to heavy cream or just black coffee. I did lose weight while doing it, but I was around 340 lbs at the time; I could lose two pounds a day just by thinking too hard in my first few months on PB/Paleo.

I still have bulletproof coffee now and then on weekends, when I generally sleep till noon and then goof the day away. It's just not a regular thing.

For me, the "magic" part of eating lots of fat isn't that it makes me lose weight; it's that eating lots of fat makes me want to eat less of everything. I don't have to worry about counting bulletproof coffee as a meal, or about being really conscious of what I eat through the rest of the day, because I just don't want as much. But given what I've read in these forums over the past year, I've come to the conclusion that fat triggers a stronger and longer-lasting sense of satiety in me than it does in a lot of people. I can easily and happily exist on about 1000 cal a day, if the first 500 come from fat. So my worry is usually "have I eaten enough?" rather than "did I eat too much?"

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I personally use heavy cream....and probably only ingest about 100-200 calories of it for breakfast. I've been doing this for a longer time though (longer than I've been paleo or even heard of IF'ing in fact) and never have had a significant amount of insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome.
    You are far too modest Neckhammer, I have seen people suggest 120 gram of butter in the coffee on one of these threads! That's the same amount of calories as 14 whole eggs that would keep the ketosis present and also tastes pretty good along with black coffee...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by returnfreerisk View Post
    I do versions of 'bulletproof' tea...with Rooibos I skew the coconut oil more to a Tbs and then a tsp of butter because its a bit more delicate I suppose.

Maybe as an aside or other topic...I dont do his MCT oil, which anecdotally sounds like a nightmare even getting it delivered. And the BP coffee beans didnt light up my life, nor were they bad. Who knows about the mycotoxins...I've searched online a little bit and can't find much compelling for me. I totally follow the wet processed logic reducing mold and fungus, but I'd be curious to know how much quantifiable/qualifiable damage I am doing to myself by having organic, regular processed coffee beans vs. the coddled, perfect altitude, small estate grown, wet processed. My coffee experience and reactions seemed to be the same on both beans.
    I like rooibos with coconut cream. And I agree that the BP exec guy has found a clever way to market some extremely expensive products that really aren't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Since the bulletproof exec doesn't actually say where he gets his magic coffee beans from, I felt skeptical that his beans were as magic as he said they were.

As for the MCT oil, since I'm doing the paleo/primal thing, I'm a little skeptical that MORE processing of my food makes it better. So I stick to plain old coconut oil if I put any in my coffee. I did use Kerrygold for the butter.
    Yep. How many times does it need to be said? Eat. Real. Food.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I am reading the new release of Perfect Health Diet now, and his chapter on Fasting is very interesting. I dont recall reading it in the first edition, though it very well may be there. I only mention it here, as it talks about CO or MCT oil in your morning coffee. (to promote ketosis, reduce hunger, and increase autophagy)

I dont want to give too much away but I read some new things about fasting.

Side Note: Mark also wrote a very nice Forward in this new book.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Owly is offline Senior Member
    The only place I know of where I can ask how the coffee is processed is my favourite local roaster (they do direct trade, single-origin coffees) but I'm far more concerned about how that makes it taste than whether there's some fungus or whatever. There's fungus on loads of things we eat, and I'm skeptical that it's a big problem, especially once the coffee is roasted. So I think that he might know how it's prepared, but I'm not certain that his process actually creates a cleaner coffee, or a better tasting one even.

I'd rather shell out the cash at my local place that can tell me the name of the family that grew my coffee and the exact elevation on their land that they grew a particular coffee at, where I can tell the staff what characteristics I like in my coffee and they can recommend one that will suit my tastes, where whole milk is the default, and where my cash supports a local business that also has ethical trade practices.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345