Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: bulletproof tea?? page 4

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    Not necessarily. I'm very much a woman and I eat a helluva lot of fat, and I'm continuing to lose body fat. Granted, I'm also 6'0 so I guess I can get away with eating more than an average-sized woman. The perks of being a giant
    Obviously, if you're a larger woman or a very active one, you will be able to handle 700 calories in your morning coffee better than a small, sedentary woman. It doesn't change the fact that although 700 calories of fat won't knock you out of ketosis, it's still energy taken in and still counts toward your daily intake. If people account for it and choose to replace part or all of their morning meal with buttered coffee, well, then they seem to have positive experiences.

However, if you exceed your daily needs for an extended period of time, you can still gain weight, regardless of whether you're running on fat or carbs, and adding a lot of calories in the form of a bulletproof coffee still has an effect on that. Being a bigger, more active person simply means that the upper limit is probably higher for you.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The receipt is a stated in my posting; One cube of vegetable broth, 120 gram of organic butter from grass fed cows, and one teaspoon of oregano and some sea salt. Water. It's a fat-soup for people that want to stay in ketosis and lose weight, and since it is bulletproof you can't lose!!!

The only thing to remember is that you need to chop wood or pull a sledge for more than 12 hours per day, but if you remember to do that, you may lose 2 pound per day on this soup…
    Geesh, you use an ENTIRE one of those over-salted bullion cubes AND salt the broth? You may lose the weight, but I sure as hell foresee some terrible water bloating. That's gotta be over 2,000 mgs of sodium in addition to what you add to the other food you eat.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Geesh, you use an ENTIRE one of those over-salted bullion cubes AND salt the broth? You may lose the weight, but I sure as hell foresee some terrible water bloating. That's gotta be over 2,000 mgs of sodium in addition to what you add to the other food you eat.
    I am living in a hot place and I sweat a lot! But the butter is unsalted though...

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Sigh.

Here are the links that explain how this is supposed to work.
    "supposed to work"? Hmm, do I sense that you are not completely convinced by the arguments from the Bulletproof™ executive yourself sbhikes?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I am not completely convinced, no. At least I'm not convinced that his coffee, special MCT oil and all the rest of his mysterious products are the answer to everything. A coffee with a moderate amount of butter and common household ingredients is a tasty beverage that I have been able to consume in the past without needing to eat until lunch or later. These days I just drink my coffee black, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    It helped me to learn to adjust to fasting & IFing. I have since cut it out, as most days I am trying to cut out the extra fats like that. However if I were doing a longer fast, not just IF type fast but like days at a time, I might use it again.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I'm with sbhikes. I was a BP coffee fan and still have it occasionally but found out through experience that it is easier to just have quality coffee in the morning without added butter/coconut oil. With the fat I got really hungry by 11am, without I am finding it pretty easy to maintain my fast until noon. I seem to be losing fat quicker now, almost at target weight.
    I do believe BP coffee/tea is a useful tool to become a "fat burner", but once you have reached that state, those excess calories are only going to make it harder.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I am not completely convinced, no. At least I'm not convinced that his coffee, special MCT oil and all the rest of his mysterious products are the answer to everything. A coffee with a moderate amount of butter and common household ingredients is a tasty beverage that I have been able to consume in the past without needing to eat until lunch or later. These days I just drink my coffee black, though.
    Sound wise! I have been doing intermittent fasting for a long time now and I follow Berkhams rule that you break the fast by ingesting more than 50 kcal, so that should be equivalent to a very small teaspoon of butter or oil. In the morning I usually drink black coffee, ice water or a mix of green and black tea. Later on I do some herbal tea with Splenda, and if feeling hungry I drink a large glass of very cold Coke Zero with a splash of lime juice. If feeling very hungry after noon I take a large tablespoon of codliver oil and technically that breaks my fast, but I get the essential fat acids (Omega 3) after all…

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    I do believe BP coffee/tea is a useful tool to become a "fat burner", but once you have reached that state, those excess calories are only going to make it harder.
    Everybody burn fat daily, so you are already a fatburner...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 12-11-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Everybody burn fat daily, so you are already a fatburner...
    Since this is always contested as so (the fatburner thing), maybe we should all just recognize that in the context of being a "fat burner" it just mean using fat as fuel more efficiently and with less reliance on glucose. So if you get hypoglycemic attacks, headaches when you don't eat frequently, fatigue, and those other associated symptoms then your not a "good fat burner" yet. You likely also have some of the other symptoms of metabolic syndrome.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-11-2012 at 08:20 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have not been fasting. Maybe I should take it up again.

The thing that made me skeptical was his whole thing about the wet-processed coffee. I looked online and in local markets and nowhere could I find anyone who sold wet-processed coffee. Nobody ever specifies what kind of processing is used. I think I might have found an article about it or two on some health web sites, but not a single seller of coffee ever specified what processing was used. Apparently, no matter what processing is used, there's always some fungus and the USDA specifies how much is allowed and that's about as good as it gets for quality. My guess is that so long as it's some kind of single-origin coffee, you are doing the best you can. Since the bulletproof exec doesn't actually say where he gets his magic coffee beans from, I felt skeptical that his beans were as magic as he said they were.

As for the MCT oil, since I'm doing the paleo/primal thing, I'm a little skeptical that MORE processing of my food makes it better. So I stick to plain old coconut oil if I put any in my coffee. I did use Kerrygold for the butter.

I basically have never actually had real bulletproof executive bulletproof coffee. I never "did the program." My skepticism got the better of me, I suppose, but really at this point in my journey, nothing ever has the miracle effects anybody promises. Eating real food and weight lifting seems to do the best at making me feel awesome. Everything else doesn't do anything much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast