Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bulletproof tea?? page 2

HanKu is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For me personally, I eat two meals after the coffee breakfast (no snacks); often just veggies with some protein and a little fat. I eat the bulk of my carbs at dinner. Trying to shift all my carbs at night as I'm doing less and less MMA cardio so the carb front loading has become unnecessary. That's just my experience, but I may not be a standard case as I never really had to lose weight (my max. ever was 172lbs 2 years ago).

Losing weight, i.e. fat is done by changing the macro profile of your diet to moderate fat, moderate protein, low carb, which for most SD people means changing half to two-thirds of your carbs into fat and upping the protein to 75-100% grams of protein per lb body weight (I'd do 75% if you have to lose a lot of fat since a lot of our weight will be fat).

But you don't have to do bulletproof coffee if you'd rather eat rather than drink a fat liquid concoction. Any protein-fat breakfast is fine as long a you keep carbs low to none.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I drink heavy cream in both coffee and chai - and love it both ways. Both beverages make a nice delivery vehicle for the cream . As for "how this works" -- the short version is that if any sugar (glucose or glycogen) is handy the body will burn that preferentially. Think of it as fuel that you have to use or lose - can't be stored (it'll go bad and break things).

So the body burns that - and doesn't burn fat. Overnight, unless you've been raiding the pantry, you've switched to burning fat at least somewhat. So ... if you want to burn fat from your bum, don't give your system sugar - have some fat to feel satiated (and fat and protein are way more satiating than carbs), and keep burning fat.

Suppose my BMR = 1200 kcal (easy number - I'm 5'1", or 155cm); with light activity I probably need ~1500 per day. 2Tbsp of heavy cream per cup and 2 cups of coffee/chai is 200 kcal. And I'm satisfied - don't need any breakfast. Don't eat again, in fact, until dinner. And without much exercise due to my work demands, I'm still doing a slow body recomp with fat disappearing -- even from my thighs (I'm 61 later this month, and female - there's whole thread on how hard it is to lose that fat).

For more info, we can recommend some reading for you.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsj111 View Post
    im still pretty confused about this.

first, how can be consuming like 75 grams of fat in one sitting make you loose weight? i understand it boosts your energy but thats a ton of fat. i just dont get it...
    It's here the magic comes into play, so don't worry too much about it! Some critical voices will try to tell you that that 75 gram of butter contain close to 700 kcal and that you can eat 4 canned tuna in water or 9 whole eggs instead for the same amount of calories. But donít listen to those skeptics! Pure butter will keep you in ketosis and thatís what really matters here, so just put your butter in your tea and try not to overthink it!

You should try my bulletproof morning soupô btw, it will fill you up and keep you full until dinner and you will also stay in ketosis and you will lose 2 pound of weight every day! Here is the receipt: One cube of vegetable broth, 120 gram of organic butter from grass fed cows, and one teaspoon of oregano some sea salt. Water. It is very important that the butter is made from grass fed cows, don't forget about that!

Enjoy the morning soup and your dietÖ

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I've made bullet proof chai tea and it's really good, but remember you have to blend the heck out of it (I use an immersion blender) otherwise the fat just sits on top and it is yucky! And don't forget to use UNSALTED butter.

My son and I also love bone broth with butter and salt in the morning.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    If it helps keep you feeling satisfied, great, but the calories do still matter. Ketosis on its own will not get you to your goals unless you're also conscious of your intake. Consuming 200-400kcal of butter on top of your normal daily food intake will have quite the opposite effect to what you want. You need to account for the caloric density of the butter, so it's one thing to use it to replace food, but don't think that washing down your bacon and eggs with a big cup of butter-laden coffee will help you get thinner by some kind of butter magic.
    ďIf I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.Ē --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Pure butter will keep you in ketosis and thatís what really matters here,

You should try my bulletproof morning soupô
    Do you have a recipe for your soup?

I agree with owly. 700 calories of fat will make a woman or a small man gain weight, ketosis or not. The idea of eating-all-the-fat-you-want works well with big guys, young guys, or guys who work out a lot. Everybody else...gains weight. Bulletproof coffee/tea/hot cocoa is especially dangerous in this respect because it's a very easy way to wolf down calories without knowing it.

It's okay to start with salted butter IF you clarify it and use the clarified stuff in the bulletproof tea. All the salt concentrates in the milky layer and gets thrown out.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    The receipt is a stated in my posting; One cube of vegetable broth, 120 gram of organic butter from grass fed cows, and one teaspoon of oregano and some sea salt. Water. It's a fat-soup for people that want to stay in ketosis and lose weight, and since it is bulletproof you can't lose!!!

The only thing to remember is that you need to chop wood or pull a sledge for more than 12 hours per day, but if you remember to do that, you may lose 2 pound per day on this soup…

mrsj111 is offline Junior Member
    Not sure im understanding you quite right. Im young, in good health anf very physically active, not overweight, but probably right on. So are you saying that bulletproof coffee will make me gain weight? In order to loose weight, can i say, have bullettproof coffee in the morning, veggies or something for lunch and protein for dinner and expect to loose weight? Or
    o i need to treat it more as a fast or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

I agree with owly. 700 calories of fat will make a woman or a small man gain weight, ketosis or not. The idea of eating-all-the-fat-you-want works well with big guys, young guys, or guys who work out a lot. Everybody else...gains weight. Bulletproof coffee/tea/hot cocoa is especially dangerous in this respect because it's a very easy way to wolf down calories without knowing it.

It's okay to start with salted butter IF you clarify it and use the clarified stuff in the bulletproof tea. All the salt concentrates in the milky layer and gets thrown out.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I suggest you track your calories and macronutrients with one of the many apps out there - I prefer CRON-O-Meter, but others like Sparkpeople or FitDay, etc. The bulletproof coffee for me replaces a meal with fewer calories, and keeps me in ketosis. Win-win!

It's not for everyone - and I like cream better than butter (no blender required). We all have variations and most of us go through varying stages of n=1 experimentation to figure out what works for us as individuals. Keep records, change one thing at a time, and give it enough time for a difference to really (completely) show up.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you want to understand how the bulletproof coffee works, you have to go to the bulletproof executive's website and look it up. He basically invented it based on the butter tea they have in Tibet. But he hacked it as part of his bulletproof body hacking stuff.

Basically fat doesn't raise your blood sugar or your blood insulin, so it can help prolong some of the other things your body does in a fasted state without you having to actually be in a fasted state. However, if you are trying to lose weight, you do have to have a fat deficit. Your body needs to burn something for energy and if fat is all it has, it will use up the fat in your food first before going for the fat in your thighs. So unless you have a blazing fast metabolism, you can easily out-pace your body's needs with added fat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast