Thread: Help with Hashimoto's results page

Sharma is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Help with Hashimoto's results

Primal Fuel
    Hi All!

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post, but I decided to join it because I like how everyone can help with sharing their experiences! So I'm 23, and I recently got a blood test done for thyroid in Germany last month. Because I was only there for a few days, they sent me the results in German! I've tried interpreting them, but I'm not quite sure I understand if the levels are good or not...etc., so your help would be highly appreciated! They said I have autoimmune Hashimoto, however, no medications needed yet!

Results:

TSH basal 0.78 U/ml Normal: (0,55 - 4,78)
    fT3 3,70 pg/ml Normal: (2,5 - 4,4)
    fT4 0,96 ng/dl Normal: (0,9 - 1,76)
    Thyreoperoxidase Antibodies 8,4 IU/ml Normal: (1 -16)
    TSH receptor autoantibodies <1,27 IU/I Normal: (1,80)
    Thyroglubin antibodies 421 U/ml Normal: (<115)
    Thyroglubin 0,60 Normal: (<70)
    Tg recovery 90% Normal: (70-130)

Also asked for ferritin levels and vitamin D:
    Ferritin was 26,2 (normal range: 10 - 120)
    Vitamin D was 23,7 (normal range: 30 - 100)

I understand that my Ferritin levels are on the low side, so I am focusing on having an iron-rich diet, as well as taking my iron supplements once a day. For the vitamin D, I am taking 20,000iu once a week (prescribed by doctor).

Now my main concern here is the interpretation of my thyroid results. I have googled each and every one of them, however, I get more & more confused it seems.

Questions:
    - Where do I stand?
    - How do I lower my antibodies so that I don't get Hashimoto's (if possible)
    - I heard that iodine makes it worse, is this true? My multivitamin has iodine in it, should I switch to an iodine-free multivitamin?
    - Is selenium useful in this case? I've read a lot about it lowering antibodies

My doctor wants to see me again in 3 months of a re-test.

Please feel free to add in any useful input you may have on my case.

Thanks!

Sharma is offline Junior Member
    I also forgot to mention that I am extremely forgetful, always sleepy, irritable, and I have bad brain fog moments.

Enokai is offline Junior Member
    my t4 was .09 as well (tsh 15, and Thyroglubin antibodies 360). My doctor told me that my t4 was low-normal but it was okay since I wasn't having symptoms. She wants to follow up with more blood work in 6 wks so see how things are trending.
    From my reading of hashimoto's and hpyothyroid I think that you could still have low thyroid symptoms even if your t4 is technically "normal." I dug up a lot of info from Thyroid Disorders and some from thyroid.about.com. I found this helpful although not enlightening too: Advice for New Thyroid Patients

If it helps, TSH is the hormone that stimulates the thyroid to make t3/t4. An elevated TSH (such as mine) indicates the body/thyroid gland is working harder (needs more stimulation) to make enough t3/t4.

Sorry I cant answer your results fully, but I don't think your feeling of symptoms with normal numbers is uncommon either. I am pursuing a second opinion with a Naturopathic doctor.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I have Hashis and Low D also.

My Hashi's was triggered by a food allergy, so my advice would be to do your best to exposure to allergens, particularly foods you have an allergy to. Bear in mind also that Hashi's tends to flare and fade back and forth and so even though your TSH, FT3 and FT4 look good right now they might not always be that good so you have to be diligent with your diet to put as little stress on your immune system as possible. You'll know it if you have a flare because you will feel extra crappy at that time.

There are support supplements that you might try taking. For a while I took a supplement my doctor asked me to take called Thytrophin PMG. It helps to support thyroid function without replacing it. I felt a little better on that but ultimately I ended up being put on Naturethroid, a natural desiccated thyroid hormone replacement.

Wildapple Guest
    Go to Thyroid Mistreatment, Hypothyroidism Scandals, and Thyroid Treatment Problems | Stop The Thyroid Madness and read, read, read. Then find a doctor who will diagnose you by symptoms rather than rely solely on lab tests.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Also. your vitamin D is danger low.... Red Alert... dont fuck with it low

Medical D is toxic... ( they dont like to admit it) and is the wrong sterioisomer ( do your own research and verify my comments)

go to any supplement shop and but 2 million international units of D3. dont care how it is packaged, just get that much.

over the next 1-2 weeks ingest it.

Problem solved. Now take a maintainence dose meant to keep you at the top of the range. say 5000 IU daily. retest after 10 weeks. if you are low range increase it to 10,000 if you are still upper range good job.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    I am having thyroid issues, but have also just been diagnosed with low cortisol - adrenal fatigue. Apparently if you fix your adrenals your thyroid works better. Try reading this book.

Brian fog is a symptom - and so is depression, low energy etc

Amazon.com: Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome (9781890572150): James Wilson, Jonathan V. Wright: Books

For Hashimotos I take Selenium, Vitamin D3, Magnesium - and 100% gluten free.

The Vitamin d and Selenium will help your immune system...
    Last edited by Rueben; 12-13-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharma View Post
    I also forgot to mention that I am extremely forgetful, always sleepy, irritable, and I have bad brain fog moments.
    Your Vit D is low. Unsure about the rest, but it's in the "danger zone" and these symptoms are all ones I suffered when Vit D deficient. You may want to try a supplement over the Winter, until there's enough sun to see if your body produces natural Vit D efficiently, as now's not the BEST time to be aiming for sunlight. Try HealthSparks, they worked a treat for me.
    Hopefully with a Vit D pill a day or a serving after meals, all those symptoms should clear up.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharma View Post
    Your Vit D is low. Unsure about the rest, but it's in the "danger zone" and these symptoms are all ones I suffered when Vit D deficient. You may want to try a supplement over the Winter, until there's enough sun to see if your body produces natural Vit D efficiently, as now's not the BEST time to be aiming for sunlight. Try HealthSparks, they worked a treat for me.
    Hopefully with a Vit D pill a day or a serving after meals, all those symptoms should clear up.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm NO doctor and I recommend you look for a good nutritional doctor, either a Naturopathic Medicine (N.D.) or a holistic MD.

You have Hashimoto's because your Thyroid is currently under attack by your immune system (thus autoimmune disease). From the looks of your T4 and your antibodies its probably in the very early stages. Your doctor back home will probably want to do an ultrasound of your Thyroid to see how far gone it is. They didn't prescribe anything because there is no big pharma prescription they can write to treat Hashimoto's. If your Thyroid hormone levels fall below normal they'll probably prescribe replacement hormone's but that's about it. Their "plan" is to wait until your Thyroid is destroyed and then put you on Thyroid replacement hormone's. Not much of a plan if you ask me.

The Selenium, Vitamin D3, Magnesium supplements that Rueben suggested can be helpful. I would recommend reading both the of following books "Hope for Hashimoto's" by Dr. Alexander Haskell N.D. and "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal" by Datis Kharrazian. Stay away from Iodine (even iodized table salt) until you've read those books and are being treated by someone knowledgeable of the program. In my eyes your tests indicate their may still be time to turn this around. But you need a doctor willing to try (he has to write a Rx for thyroid hormone's as part of the treatment and order regular lab results), you have to eat VERY nutritional food, you need to exercise, you need to cut out gluten from your diet, you need to know more about this than most MD's. Its not an easy program. But its worth it to not only save your Thyroid but because its good for you anyway.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    ================
    Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.