Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: "Strict" Diet - Bad? page 3

  1. #21
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Hehe, a person that maintains her bodyweight on a vegan diet of 1500 calories and then changes to a “strict” paleo diet of loads of bacon, avocado and bulletproof coffee averaging 4000 kcal is not to be labeled as “strict” in my opinion…
    I went from 2000 cal vegan diet to 1500 cal paleo. LOL not because I'm counting, just because I'm not as hungry. or I'm more satisfied or something.

  2. #22
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    I think "strict" becomes unhealthy when people start getting wound up in knots over every detail of their food and begin to really get stressed by it. I'm strict by many people's standards because I'm celiac, so the indulgences in beer or other foods that contain gluten are off the table for me, but I'm not stressed out over it because it's part of me being healthy. The harm of eating gluten for me is quite serious, and being strict about it means less stress for me rather than more.

    I do worry when I see people who are so freaked out over nutrition that they end up in a kind of food paralysis and go into crisis mode over any possible primal impurity in their diet. It's not really about the strictness of a person's diet--it's about the damage they're doing in getting so stressed out over the minutiae. You see those people who are in a tizzy because there might have been a touch of canola oil in the salad dressing, and I have to think that the stress is doing more harm than the canola (except maybe for someone who has an allergy issue, of course).

    So no, the strict diet isn't the problem; the panic mode is.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  3. #23
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I went from 2000 cal vegan diet to 1500 cal paleo. LOL not because I'm counting, just because I'm not as hungry. or I'm more satisfied or something.
    That's the way to do it zoebird, protein and fat satify most people better, so you are doing the right thing! But as always: calories always counts, so there are no free ride, even on going paleo...

  4. #24
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I disagree with some posts I've seen, where people say it is not "healthy" in a way, to follow the paleo (or any) diet too strictly, and that it will lead to more stress.

    When I eat grains, dairy, or a little too many carbs, I get acne, bloating, dry skin, digestive problems... Is vehemently avoiding these things stressing me out? Hell no, it's just the opposite. Eating these things give me pain, both physical and psychological (e.g. anxiety from acne).

    And I know some are even more "precise" with their diets, calculating both macro and micro nutrients, finding out the specifics, and striving for a "perfect" diet for themselves. Even that, is completely fine. Obviously if someone is doing this, they see/feel a reward from it.

    I imagine those that are against "strict" diets, often have problems with their own indulgences, and can't imagine anyone giving them up without it being painful. And in this way, they sort of rationalize one of their own faults.

    Thoughts?
    I'm actually seeing a lot of criticism HERE on the MDA forums toward people just following the basic Primal Blueprint. It's rare anymore to be someone who doesn't eat liberal amounts of potatoes, rice, honey or other sugars, or fruit.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

  5. #25
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    People do have a special level of freak out about eliminating grains. No one ever really calls being a vegetarian extreme....
    I think they do....

    It's just that there is an additional moral arguement that is attached to vegetarianism that isn't to most other dietary restrictions. The moral arguement 'purifies' the dogma.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  6. #26
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,691
    Following PB is freedom, not entrapment. Being stuck under a scalp of infinite dandruff, a zitty face, having to walk with a cane and farting every five minutes is what not being "strict" will get me.

    When people pull this card just ask them how much antifreeze, nuclear waste and strychnine they eat. I mean, they have to eat a little once in a while, right? Otherwise, how can you have a balanced diet?


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  7. #27
    ctheflow's Avatar
    ctheflow is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    8
    I think when people refer to being strict as 'unhealthy' they tend to allude to the psychology & attitude more so than the actual physical diet itself. Or course, eating completely paleo is great for you. However, I think people who say that are referring to the orthorexic nature that "strict" followers are prone to adopt.

    It's not so much an attack on the food or a reflection of their own weaknesses (and desire to indulge). That kind of comment is more targeted at trying to head off any unhealthy obsessive behavior before it begins (esp if it's a loved one).

    Hope this helps! Just my two cents.

  8. #28
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm actually seeing a lot of criticism HERE on the MDA forums toward people just following the basic Primal Blueprint. It's rare anymore to be someone who doesn't eat liberal amounts of potatoes, rice, honey or other sugars, or fruit.
    Yep, I've been accused of "disordered eating" for staying LC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Following PB is freedom, not entrapment. Being stuck under a scalp of infinite dandruff, a zitty face, having to walk with a cane and farting every five minutes is what not being "strict" will get me.
    In my case it's seizure control that makes it freedom, not entrapment.

    Quote Originally Posted by ctheflow View Post
    I think when people refer to being strict as 'unhealthy' they tend to allude to the psychology & attitude more so than the actual physical diet itself. Or course, eating completely paleo is great for you. However, I think people who say that are referring to the orthorexic nature that "strict" followers are prone to adopt.
    Sure obsessive orthorexia is not good but some people need to be more strict than others, e.g. a coeliac really needs to be careful about the gluten. I think there is a lot of labeling as "orthorexic" anything that doesn't agree with ones's POV.

  9. #29
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    I have seen orthorexia in action -- and it wasn't even the full blown version. My husband simply has "tendencies" in that direction, which get more concentrated when he is under stress.

    Since going ancestral, then paleo/primal, he's discovered a release from that disordered coping mechanism (which is often also biochemical triggered by certain foods, or lack of fat in his case as well as any psychological/coping mechanisms as part of the equation).

    He's been systematically liberated from all sorts of food/exercise anxieties, and it's not just because of aging and mellowing out as well. He hasn't directly *worked* in a psychological sense on his anxiety in years, and yet since we've been primal, and even more so since the advent of IF, he has been *ridiculously laid back*. It's like a different man.

    So when people claim that "orthrexia is this or that" and attach it to any one person's "different way of doing things" -- I just laugh because they have NO CLUE how extreme orthorexia can get, and I was only dealing with a husband with a very, very mild case (ie the "beginnings" of orthorexia or "minor orthorexic tendencies"). Which, in and of itself, was a nightmare.

    Trust me, I can tell a disordered person online by their anxieties around everything (which is why we all PUSHED certain people, for example to JUST EAT -- and they got results and also seemed to release a lot of anxiety, which could indicate that the anxiety has "gut issue connections").

    And most of the folks wandering through the boards? definitely not. Not even near extreme.

    particularly when -- like paleobird -- there's a perfectly rational reason for it (ie, keto diets to provide wellbeing and stop seizures). Science supports it, so how could it possibly be disordered eating for a person to strive for health? silliness if you ask me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •