Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Strict" Diet - Bad? page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here's the thing. My diet has been considered "extreme" for years. I'm really over it.

I have always had a preference for healthy food -- fruit over candy, veg over grains/etc. So as a teen, my diet was "extreme" because I didn't eat a lot of "junk foods" like normal teens. It was "unhealthy!"

Then, I went veg*n. I was vegan. It was extreme. It was unhealthy! I enjoyed it, and I tinkered so that I stayed healthy.

Then I went paleo. It is extreme! It is unhealthy!

End of the day, I'm just happy eating as I do. It works really nicely. I can't believe how healthy I am.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    People do have a special level of freak out about eliminating grains. No one ever really calls being a vegetarian extreme....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post

When I eat grains, dairy, or a little too many carbs, I get acne, bloating, dry skin, digestive problems... Is vehemently avoiding these things stressing me out? Hell no, it's just the opposite.
    If it's not causing you stress, then it's not bad at all.

Personally it causes me stress. But to me, that's just issues I have to work on. It's not good or bad, it's just where am at. Everyone deals with it differently.

Good topic.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I'd never done a "diet" before paleo/primal. I love food and I'm not that strict in any aspect of my life. I suppose some people might look at might diet and call it strict but then again maybe how I ate before might have been considered strict by some; I never ate crap, ate mostly local and or organic, and cooked everything from scratch. I've always been strictly against fast food and processed foods. Switching to this WOE felt pretty natural. It feels funny to use the term "strict" when I use liberal amounts of butter and cream, if that's strict then I guess I'd better start owning the term.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't find primal eating to be strict at all. If it breathes air, you can eat it. If it swims or lives in a shell, you can eat it. Except for grains and legumes, if it grows out of the ground (or underground), you can eat it. So that means you can eat every animal that walks, flies, or swims, every plant (except grains), every egg laid, bugs, etc. It's almost limitless - how is that strict?

I actually don't understand people who think giving up grains would be a hardship. Miss bread? Have some on the holidays. Miss pasta, beer, or pizza? Have some during the superbowl. If they don't bother you (and they don't bother me much), save them for your 5% (because imo 20% is too high to be effective), and splurge once in awhile.

Eating a meal out of a bag a la McD. Calling something a good restaurant when it's really just a formula chain. Serving children sugar first thing in the morning. Eating a stack of pancakes the size of one's head. Now those things are weird.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    A “strict diet” in my book is a planned way of eating that implicates a large deficit of calories. Most people that changes from a SAD way of eating to paelo will enter into a calorie deficit without even counting calories, and will lose weight for a while until they reach homeostasis. Changing to eating paleo doesn’t need to be strict at all, it depends on your starting point! Going from a very low calorie CW or vegan diet to a high calorie paelo way of eating would not be “strict” by no means! So, it depends on what level you are starting out from…

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I was called extreme many times as a vegetarian and vegan, particularly if i didnt' eat meat. I know that sounds like a stupid sentence, but when I was vegan, people thought it meant: eats eggs, cheese, fish, and chicken. And, they got uppity about it if I said that I didn't eat those things: well, my friend is a vegetarian and she eats those things! she's not so extreme!

Yeah, well, she's also an idiot and not a vegetarian. But whatever.

I don't get why people consider any of these things extreme. They really aren't at all. It's just choices. No bigs.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    What's strict about a pound of bacon, three eggs and a few avocados? Geez, I stuff my face and feel great. Can't lose!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Hehe, a person that maintains her bodyweight on a vegan diet of 1500 calories and then changes to a “strict” paleo diet of loads of bacon, avocado and bulletproof coffee averaging 4000 kcal is not to be labeled as “strict” in my opinion…
    Last edited by Gorbag; 12-09-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Another agreement here. Strict works for some and not others. For those that it works for, it can't possibly be "bad" if they enjoy it and it's doing something beneficial.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast