Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what's happening here...help me? page

Comma is offline Senior Member

Not sure what's happening here...help me?

Shop Now
    I am totally failling on the paleo diet right now, after doing fairly well for almost a year and loving it. I haven't been able to get it together since Sandy, which was hugely stressful, up until now. Stress stress stress. No Farmer's Markets. Small kids everywhere. No money. Appointments all the time. Dh who struggles tooth and nail for his toast and pasta. HELP ME! I eat crap and I feel like crap. Pimples, bad mood, sugar crashes, bloat, the whole monty is back. I am too weak to get back on the wagon, it appears. Can somebody please DRAG ME ON IT BY MY HAIR?? please? Tell me how to start tomorrow morning. I'm begging you.

stoney56 is offline Member
    Here I'll help you:

If you want the end game to be loss of blood sugar, then fuck it.

If you want the last 20 years of your life to be painful and sucky, then keep eating the refined shit.

If you like out of control cellular growth, then keep your blood sugar elevated.

It is your choice, and I see family and good friends literally killing themselves with the choices they make. It all comes down to you, nobody else. Good luck.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I think the biggest priority is working on your stress levels. I can see that life is really tough right now, but try finding free things that will help. Things like going for a walk, locking yourself away in the bedroom with a good book, or spending the afternoon in the local library. Delegating the chores. DH can get his own food if he chooses to eat food that you do not prepare. You'll have to find your own things as I'm sure some of mine won't be possible, but I think dealing with the stress is key. Stress can lead to sugar cravings and other behaviours that hinder good health.

Also, cut yourself some slack. It's ok to be traumatised by these terrible events. I imagine there are many people around you who feel the same but hide their worry behind closed doors. Perhaps sharing your feelings with others will help. You might find that they feel the same. Maybe you can all help each other out.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I don't claim to be an experienced Paleo, I'm new at this- but I do know that there are times it's selfish to NOT put yourself first. If you feel like crap, if your health is poor, if you are tired all the time, how can you help your family and friends? You can't. You have to help yourself first. If you know that your diet is the reason you feel poorly, then you must modify your diet. If your husband is unable to live without his carbs, then eat separately. My DH and I have often made the choice to eat separately so that I can have what I need and he can have what he wants. It's not my job to determine his food choices for him, but it is my job to take care of my own health.

Your cravings are natural, but there are other things you can do that will make you feel good and will last longer than that initial carb rush. Get a massage, go for a walk, get outside on a sunny day, read a good book, watch a comedy, etc. Treat yourself well.

Thank you. Yes you are all right. Yes I know. Reading through it I noticed a recent change in the kids' preschool schedules- I lost all free time I had (a whopping 6 hours a week) and now it's to the grindstone every hour from morning to night. I can't change it. It's hard to even have time to cook. I have no down time whatsoever until 9 at night, which is when I have to hit the sck in order to survive the next day.

But I will hunt down better food from somewhere and come up with a meal plan. And tomorrow mornign I will have lots of eggs.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Trying following the rule that no matter what you won't eat two non-paleo meals in a row. So if you cave and eat something bad, just move on, but make sure the next meal is healthy.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    when my kids were itty I SO needed those few hours a week while they were at preschool---it felt PRICELESS> I cannot imagine being back at that stage---it was truly exhausting...you give all of yourself and there really feels like nothing is left. I would climb in bed as soon as I got them to sleep! I commented this year that I am a survivor! Both of my kids are now in FULL DAY school and it feels like a MIRACLE! ...focus on the light at the end of the tunnel. Not sure how old your babes are, but i had to remind myself that every month, even every week, was better than the one before.

Also...to restart...pick a time that works best for your hormones...like right after getting your period, when your food cravings start to abate. I find it's an easier starting time! Hang in there momma!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Comma, so sorry to hear what you're going through. The stress of it all sounds pretty overwhelming and it sounds like the most difficult aspect is the feeling of a lack of control - over your circumstances, of course, but also the fact that you feel driven physically in ways that you weren't when you were eating a diet that was more ideal for you. Your blood sugar, insulin levels, cortisol level, etc., are probably all over the map, thanks to the stress alone - not to mention the contribution from the big change in diet.

For the time being, control only what you can, accept that which you can't and make stress management your number one priority. Things will calm down and you will feel much better as you gain familiarity your current circumstances and are able to affect more of what is going on in your life. You are strong and you will get there!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Yes, this is one of the toughest times. Are there any other parents at the day care who you can share childcare with? Maybe look after each other's children and give each of you some space. In traditional cultures women would band together and share the childcare. For some reason women today seem to be expected to do it all themselves. I actually don't think it is possible to do it on your own and stay sane!!

Oh God, I'm not sure things will calm down ever...I have to get back into crushing horrid career job on top of having da kids (3 and 5, btw). I'm trapped.

But I will eat those eggs anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast