Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving & reusing leftover bacon fat page

Nelle is offline Senior Member

Saving & reusing leftover bacon fat

Primal Fuel
    Growing up, my mom always said not to pour hot bacon grease down the drain so we always poured it into a jar and threw it away when full. I never really thought about it until recently that I could be reusing this bacon fat to cook with-- does anyone do that? And if so, do you strain it or run it through a cheese cloth before storing in a jar? Or do you throw the whole shebang in there and use as needed? Thanks!

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    I do, I just toss it all in a bowl and use as needed.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    There is ALWAYS a jar of bacon grease in the fridge. The interesting part is different batches of bacon yield slightly different textures, depending on what the pigs were fed. But I've used bacon fat all my life - my mother and grandmother did, too.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    love bacon grease---and yes reuse it all of the time!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Thanks! Do you guys pour it all in one jar/bowl or strain it first? (My bacon grease ends up with tiny flecks of bacon in it-- not that that's a bad thing!) Do you use it to sautee up veggies or brown meat or some other recipe?

i never strain ... I appreciate those little flecks! I dont refrigerate either since it's usually used within a few days. I use for veggies (roasted brussel sprouts, butternut squash, added to lean meat---like venison...the sky is the limit!)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I usually strain it through a piece of muslin, but just because I love dipping my knife into the creamy whiteness of it, not because I think the little flecks are bad or anything.

I refrigerate mine, but have no compunctions about using it if it has been sitting on the counter for a few days, and have never had any taste or health issues.

Recently I scored the fat off three pounds of bacon cooked up during our girls scout camping trip. Said one of the other mom's when I asked for it, "Sabine, I always thought you ate so healthy.' I said, 'We just have a different definition of healthy. Mine includes bacon!'

Too funny, Sabine! I love telling people that I bought some pig fat to make lard out of. They are usually a bit horrified!

Cooking bacon fat with brussels sprouts sounds amazing! I will try that!

ooh...brussels are amazing! Cut off the stems and peel outer leaves off...then cut each into fourths. Mix in bacon grease, some sea salt and a few pinches of nutmeg. Roast at 400-425 degrees for around 20-30 minutes. My kids DEVOUR them cooked this way!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Growing up my parents always poured off the bacon fat into a coffee cup and left it by the stove. They didn't refrigerate it, and they used it for cooking. It was fine (probably because they used regular bacon full of nitrates and preservatives). I'd refrigerate it since our bacon doesn't have all the stuff to keep it from going bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast