Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saving & reusing leftover bacon fat page 2

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have an antique grease can with a removable strainer that I keep in the fridge. I cook all kinds of shit with leftover bacon grease.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    antique grease can...what do they look like? I wonder if they are made anymore or whether antifat movement has made them extinct

I have dim memories of my dad keeping 'drippings' in a metal container in the fridge when I was growing up. Might see if I can google something

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    We keep the bacon grease, don't bother to strain anything, and use it on almost everything. My mom did, too. It is a toss-up whether it lands in the fridge overnight and we use it regardless. It doesn't last long enough in this house to be able to get old.

Blacksmith is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    ooh...brussels are amazing! Cut off the stems and peel outer leaves off...then cut each into fourths. Mix in bacon grease, some sea salt and a few pinches of nutmeg. Roast at 400-425 degrees for around 20-30 minutes. My kids DEVOUR them cooked this way!
    I've made them with bacon grease but I've never added nutmeg, I'm gonna try it sounds good.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Blacksmith is online now Senior Member
    Isn't animal fat relatively stable in that it doesn't go bad if left out? I leave mine out and never have a problem.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    antique grease can...what do they look like? I wonder if they are made anymore or whether antifat movement has made them extinct

I have dim memories of my dad keeping 'drippings' in a metal container in the fridge when I was growing up. Might see if I can google something

It's just a square can with lid, under the lid is the tray with a little handle on it. I got it from my wife's grandmother. It hadn't been used in years until I asked for it.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Leftover? never had any. Always pour it over my meal.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Yes, covered Pyrex bowl in the fridge at all times. Not strained (but if you let it sit in the pan for few minutes before pouring it off, the bits sink to the bottom and you can leave most of them behind.) I cook about 1lb of bacon a week, and it renders enough fat to always have enough on hand. I fry eggs or other meats in it, add it to extra-lean hamburger (venison is too lean without it), roast veggies in it, baste a roast with it before sprinkling the seasonings on it.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    I keep a canning jar next to the stove and pour the bacon grease in there. It's *never* full and we never have any to store in the fridge b/c I use it with everything!

Edit: And I don't strain it or anything.
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy

9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12