Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate CW buy in? page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

The ultimate CW buy in?

Primal Fuel
    A healthy young lady is going to have a double masectomy just because she "might" get breast cancer!

Really???

I might get testicle cancer, I guess I should get my balls cut off!

Excuse me while I go bash my head against the wall.....

Miss America Contestant Will Undergo Double Mastectomy After Pageant - ABC News
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    A healthy young lady is going to have a double masectomy just because she "might" get breast cancer!

Really???

I might get testicle cancer, I guess I should get my balls cut off!

Excuse me while I go bash my head against the wall.....

Miss America Contestant Will Undergo Double Mastectomy After Pageant - ABC News
    Being tested and verified as a carrier of a gene mutation that causes breast cancer is MUCH different than simply having breasts and therefore having a chance of getting cancer.

Or testicles and possibly getting testicular cancer... which is of significantly lower incidence than breast cancer anyway.

The genetic mutation she carries is almost a guarantee that not only will she get breast cancer, but that she will get it young, that it will recur, and that she will eventually die from it... just as most of the women in her family already have.
    That's where her decision is coming from.

I'm sick of tits being held as more important than a woman's decisions... save the "tatas" my ass... save her life, even if that means cutting the damned things off. She doesn't actually NEED them you know.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    And of course, the government softly condones this:

Preventive Mastectomy - National Cancer Institute

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm sick of tits being held as more important than a woman's decisions... save the "tatas" my ass... save her life, even if that means cutting the damned things off. She doesn't actually NEED them you know.
    And my post has nothing to do about this being tits that are being cut off, it is about someone taking the radical step of having part of their body cut off without there being anything wrong with it.

It is about people buying into CW wisdom, so deeply, that they cannot see anyway to avoid cancer except to cut off a part of their body.

Get over the tits thing and see deeper into the story.

The cancer industry is about making money, not curing anything.

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    With the gene mutation that she has her breasts are essentially ticking time bombs... not average breasts with the average chance of getting cancer.
    That gene mutation makes this a very different matter than an average woman getting breasts removed as a preventative.

If I was her I would do exactly the same thing.
    It's a very personal decision.

I really don't think that you have the right to judge the decision of a person who has that confirmed genetic mutation, and who has already watched the other women in her family die as a result of it because they waited to be diagnosed with the cancer then fought the cancer with tradition methods.

She is choosing a different path is all, one that should provide a longer life outcome with less illness.
    Ultimately the path that she is choosing is attempting to avoid paying any money to the cancer industry.
    She will have her breasts removed and hopefully avoid all other treatments.
    A single procedure is not more profitable than letting her get cancer and treating her repeatedly for years.

Feel free to rant.
    I'll feel free to think that your rant is ridiculous.

There is no amount of clean healthy living that would keep that gene mutation from causing cancer in her at some point, most likely while she is still young trying to raise a family.
    That gene mutation is a serious problem for the women who have it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My ex had that gene in his family, and almost every single woman in the family had died of breast cancer. His sister was getting tested and was going to have the mastectomy if she tested positive, and I would 100% support it. If you have that mutation, the cancer is almost a guarantee, and the surgery is the only way to prevent it. Better one surgery than years of surgeries, chemo, radiation, and likely eventual metastasis and death.

I have a genetic cancer in my family too. If there was a test and a surgery that could prevent it if I tested positive for it genetically, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Sadly, I can't cut off my head to prevent a brain tumour, but after watching people suffer through that and die a long hard death, if there was a way I could be sure I wouldn't get it, I'd be banging on the operating theatre door.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'll be honest- breast cancer runs in my family and I've thought about being gene tested. The problem is, if I test positive, I will very likely consider having a prophylactic double mastectomy. This isn't CW so much as basically getting a guaranteed death sentence. Lung cancer you can often avoid by not smoking, avoiding polluted air, and eating a good diet. Other cancers are often similar- diet and lifestyle have a huge impact. Breast cancer, if you have the genetic mutation, can be unavoidable. So I guess what I would say is if you haven't walked a mile in that person's shoes, don't judge. It's a huge thing for a woman to consider having her breasts removed. Our breasts are our most womanly attribute. We feel we will be unattractive without them. Even with reconstructive surgery, it's not the same. So it's not something we do on a whim, it's something we choose to do because we feel we have no choice.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Being tested and verified as a carrier of a gene mutation that causes breast cancer is MUCH different than simply having breasts and therefore having a chance of getting cancer.

Or testicles and possibly getting testicular cancer... which is of significantly lower incidence than breast cancer anyway.

The genetic mutation she carries is almost a guarantee that not only will she get breast cancer, but that she will get it young, that it will recur, and that she will eventually die from it... just as most of the women in her family already have.
    That's where her decision is coming from.

Yeah. Also, implants.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

arevinotion is offline Junior Member
    yeah,That gene mutation makes this a very different matter than an average woman getting breasts removed as a preventative.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    And my post has nothing to do about this being tits that are being cut off, it is about someone taking the radical step of having part of their body cut off without there being anything wrong with it.
    If all of my female relatives died of breast cancer, I'd think strongly about prevention even if it meant removing body parts. I think in some of these cases these women pretty much know they will have breast cancer. If there was an easier prevention, they would pursue it.

I think cancer has a very strong genetic link and in so many cases, just not much you can do about it. In my family, I can't think back to anyone who has had cancer. Yet in other families, seemingly everyone ends up with cancer.

I do think the whole "breast cancer" industry (mainly the fundraising) makes me all sorts of eyerolly. But I don't think the people treating it (ie, physicians) are selfish money pigs hoping to profit a couple grand from breast removal. If they were greedy, they'd want to make the big bucks treating you when you get the cancer.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Well people in my family regularly die of lung cancer the vast majority of those that don't develop thyroid cancer... doesn't mean if they come out with an artificial lung I'm going to run down and get mine removed for one, or that I'm going to have my thyroid removed just because... they do this with tonsils and the appendix now too "well you have to have this surgery, why don't we take your tonsils and appendix... that actually make up part of your immune system... why don't we go ahead and remove them just because some people have issues with them"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast