Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee before breakfast page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Coffee before breakfast

So for the last few months at the weekends and days off from work, I have a black coffee upon rising, then do a workout, either aerobic run or bike up to an hour, sometimes weights, but predominately a bike or run.

This feels good, workouts going strong. I tend to finish my workout, shower, then have a leisurely breakfast.

So far so good, until I come across these:

Coffee before breakfast cereal boosts blood sugar: study.

The Breakfast Manifesto - The Coffee Junkie's Guide to Caffeine Addiction -- New York Magazine

And there are lots more of these studies, some studies suggest a 250% rise in blood sugar compared to those who drank decaffeinated coffee an hour before eating cereal.

Any opinions, research against this? I have read lots of pros and cons for coffee, and feel having 1 cup a day isn't doing any harm, but if these studies are right, then best skip it before breakfast!

Thanks for any advice.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Mark has a blog post about coffee... I think the gist of it is that coffee releases fatty acids into the blood stream for use before working out, so it's good in that way.

Bear in mind, people in those studies are eating CW for the most part. If your system is basically screwed up, you aren't going to get the normal effect of eating (or drinking) anything.

I love coffee.

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    I'm a T1 D and haven't noticed this at all. You cd. put this to rest one way or the other by buying a cheap 19.95 BG monitoring kit that comes w/strips. I'd be interested to know what you found out w and w/o heavy creme. Good luck. You're skipping the cereal?

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Earlier research has shown that, ``whether you're a healthy individual, obese or a Type 2 diabetic, when you ingest caffeine and then follow that with some food that's carbohydrate-based, for a prolonged period of time - certainly six hours at least - your body becomes insulin resistant,'' says Terry Graham, professor of human health and nutritional sciences at the University of Guelph.
    But, if you don't eat "carbohydrate-based" food then....?

What does that say about people who drink Coke or coffee all day, along with their breads and sugars???

Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    Mark has a blog post about coffee... I think the gist of it is that coffee releases fatty acids into the blood stream for use before working out, so it's good in that way.

Bear in mind, people in those studies are eating CW for the most part. If your system is basically screwed up, you aren't going to get the normal effect of eating (or drinking) anything.

I love coffee.
    Hi, that's why I started the coffee before exercising in the mornings to help the fat burning, and so far the results have been good.
    Did look at Mark's posts, one pro coffee:

Does Coffee Decrease Insulin Sensitivity? | Mark's Daily Apple

and one maybe not so good:

Caffeine Talk | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    I'm a T1 D and haven't noticed this at all. You cd. put this to rest one way or the other by buying a cheap 19.95 BG monitoring kit that comes w/strips. I'd be interested to know what you found out w and w/o heavy creme. Good luck. You're skipping the cereal?
    Hi

Yes skipping the cereal!

Have thought of trying the BG monitor for a while now, may give it a go, I'm on holiday now to after christmas, so a good time to test.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    But, if you don't eat "carbohydrate-based" food then....?

What does that say about people who drink Coke or coffee all day, along with their breads and sugars???
    Hi

Yes I was thinking that too! if the studies are right, then they will be really messsed up!

Interesting, just looked at the links I posted, and both are quoting the same study, as do lots of links I've found!

Shalimar is offline Member
    Thanks for those links, JohhnyH. It's tempting to sit and read after drinking the morning coffee, and the first link says get up and move, as you do. Signing off....
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

Interesting article here, long read, but some good stuff:

Coffee and Insulin - How Caffeine Affects Fat Burning and Weight Loss

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Jonny-
    Here's why I don't believe those 'studies.' I love my morning coffee, and because of medical issues, I have fasting blood tests done every 4 months. I have to drive 30 min. to my doctor's office for these tests, and I hated doing it 'coffee-less.'

THEN I learned that black coffee was OK for a fasting blood test, so now I drink a pot of coffee (3 cups) before I leave.

So for perhaps 5 years, I was being tested while totally fasting, and for the past year, I've had my black coffee prior to the blood draw. There has been absolutely no increase in my fasting blood glucose number from drinking the coffee. In fact, if it made a difference, I doubt that black coffee would be allowed before the test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast