Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee before breakfast page 2

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Jonny-
    Here's why I don't believe those 'studies.' I love my morning coffee, and because of medical issues, I have fasting blood tests done every 4 months. I have to drive 30 min. to my doctor's office for these tests, and I hated doing it 'coffee-less.'

THEN I learned that black coffee was OK for a fasting blood test, so now I drink a pot of coffee (3 cups) before I leave.

So for perhaps 5 years, I was being tested while totally fasting, and for the past year, I've had my black coffee prior to the blood draw. There has been absolutely no increase in my fasting blood glucose number from drinking the coffee. In fact, if it made a difference, I doubt that black coffee would be allowed before the test.
    But according to that article, the rise in blood sugar only happens after eating carbohydrates. So it is, by definition, a non-fasting measurement.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    My initial thoughts are that they studied coffee that contains sugar...

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Jonny-
    Here's why I don't believe those 'studies.' I love my morning coffee, and because of medical issues, I have fasting blood tests done every 4 months. I have to drive 30 min. to my doctor's office for these tests, and I hated doing it 'coffee-less.'

THEN I learned that black coffee was OK for a fasting blood test, so now I drink a pot of coffee (3 cups) before I leave.

So for perhaps 5 years, I was being tested while totally fasting, and for the past year, I've had my black coffee prior to the blood draw. There has been absolutely no increase in my fasting blood glucose number from drinking the coffee. In fact, if it made a difference, I doubt that black coffee would be allowed before the test.
    Hi Emmie, thanks for reply. Interesting stuff, the more I look around the web, the more I think I'm worrying too much about this, I've only really found 1 study against coffee on empty, and lots pro the coffee fasted prior to exercise.
    I'm sat here typing while waiting for my boiled eggs to do for my breakfast, having just done my morning 30min aerobic run, after my coffee of course, feel great!
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12