Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food measurements page

schmotza is offline Junior Member

food measurements

Primal Fuel
    Can someone please give me an example of what 50g of veggies/fruit looks like? I am horrible with weighing out food as the concept is difficult for me to grasp. I never claimed to be a math major I simply learn better by visualizing things. I am at about 21% bf and would really love to get to 18%. Thanks for the help all.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmotza View Post
    Can someone please give me an example of what 50g of veggies/fruit looks like? I am horrible with weighing out food as the concept is difficult for me to grasp. I never claimed to be a math major I simply learn better by visualizing things. I am at about 21% bf and would really love to get to 18%. Thanks for the help all.
    You can easily hold 50 grams in the palm of your hand.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Nutritiondata.com can be helpful if you don't have a scale.
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Apples, raw, with skin [Includes USDA commodity food A343]

For example, a 3-1/4" apple is about 223g. So 1/4 of that large apple would be about 50g by weight and contain about 8g of carbohydrate.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    50 grams is under 2 ounces. You seriously need a scale. 50 grams would look very different depending on what you're eating and the density/water content of your food. It could range anywhere from a big chunk of apple to a huge bowl of spinach. You can't eyeball this exactly.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    You can pick up a cheap scale with on amazon for 20ish. I got mine on woot before amazon bought woot and turned it into a junk site.

Navy87Guy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    50 grams is under 2 ounces. You seriously need a scale. 50 grams would look very different depending on what you're eating and the density/water content of your food. It could range anywhere from a big chunk of apple to a huge bowl of spinach. You can't eyeball this exactly.
    I agree -- the only real way to learn it is to measure it out and get familiar with what it means for each food. I'm sure you can get a cheap scale for next to nothing at a thrift store or chain store. Just play around with the staples in your diet and get used to what 50g or 100g looks like. I do that with volume measurements, too...so when I grab a handful of mixed nuts or almonds, I know about how much a 1/4 cup is.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I resisted getting a food scale for a long time because I thought weighing and measuring was 'obsessive.' It's one of the best investments I've ever made! I discovered that I was good at eyeballing some things--but way off with others. It's nice to be sure.

schmotza is offline Junior Member
    so in order to become total fat burning you basically can't really eat any vegetables??? i try to include them every time I eat.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    What? Who said that? Eat some vegetables. If you're eating more calorically dense foods like meat or cheese or nuts, weigh them out. Vegetables, I wouldn't bother. You're hardly going to overeat spinach.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Andrewsmith is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think you must buy a scale and design a plan for your daily diets that what and how much you eat daily.Because a proper diet plan will help you in getting better result and you also get your desire fitness. I have diet plan for each week that's why i have a grip on my weight.
    Last edited by Andrewsmith; 01-13-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast