Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Boss Says To Me "Oh no! You NEED your GOOD carbs!" page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Wink My Boss Says To Me "Oh no! You NEED your GOOD carbs!"

My boss was very happy to know that i've lost almost 40 lbs... but horried to know how much meat and veggies i've been eating. I mean HORRIFIED! She's genuinely concerned that I may have a heart attack at any moment (I'm 24 years old by the way...)

She tells me, "Oh no! You really need your good carbs or else you'll be tired all the time. If I don't get my good carbs I get dizzy and once almost passed out. You really should be eating a lot of potatoes, not french fries, but potatoes, like a good baked potato. Make sure you eat it without the butter or cheese because that fat will go straight to your tummy. Also, I'd advise eating a really good cereal for breakfast and lunch. Kashi is really good and really healthy. You need your whole grains. Try cereal twice a day and it's always a good thing to add brown rice to any meal because it's great for you. But avoid white rice! I have no idea how you've lost so much weight considering that you snack cheese and always have ranch dressing on salads. Men have all the luck when it comes to weight loss. Good thing you're not a girl or else you'd be getting no-where!"

At this point... I couldn't say a thing. There is just to much to cover so for this person I just let it all go with a simple "well it works for me and not everything works for everybody."

On top of that, she's a creationist who is adamently against the scientific FACT of evolution by means of natural selection so I'm just gonna call this one a no-go... I doubt I'll ever get to her.

And yes, if you're wondering. She's fat. Haha. I don't want to me mean, but seriously lady, look at you. Why would anyone take diet advice from someone who doesn't follow their own ideas.

I do love her to death as a person. Looks like health will have to go up there with science, religion, and politics as a no-go coversation topic!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post
    She tells me, "Oh no! You really need your good carbs or else you'll be tired all the time.
    I do love her to death as a person. Looks like health will have to go up there with science, religion, and politics as a no-go coversation topic!
    I love it!!! GOOD Carbs = Starchy Carbs in her mind! I am actually fighting a similar battle with my wife. She thinks it's ridiculous that I don't want/like bread or starchy carbs anymore. She is almost ecstatic if I have a sweet potato every once in a while. When I pass up the noodles, pasta, or french fries for colorful vegetables it does not compute for her. I just keep doing what I'm doing and say it works for me.

Geoff is offline Member
    Because she's your boss, proceed with caution. Saying nothing and letting it go was the right course of action, I think. If she brings it up to you again (expect it), perhaps tell her that you've tried eating the good carbs but that you are much more productive and focused on the job when you abstain from them. Give her a good "business-related" rationale for your decision and it will be nearly impossible for her to object.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    If she brings it up again just nod your head and thank her. How you eat and live iis no one's business but you're own. I work in a hospital and 50-60% of the personnel are fat. The ICU above my office has an 1100 lb patient, and my wife's facility just converted a wing to bariatric care, reducing the number of beds from 24 to 12. Given this reality, I don't bother with what anyone thinks of my IF or diet.

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    I'm having a similar discussion with my wife, who is an RN. She'd like to lose a few lbs, but is unwilling to try what is obviously working for me. She says that the primal diet would give most people a heart attack. Maybe when I get to my weight goal (without cardiac arrest) she'll "see the light"

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    There is an assload of epidemiological evidence to suggest that saturated fat and "high" cholesterol (meaning cholesterol higher than it could be with plenty of bread and canola oil) doesn't cause heart disease. Also there is plenty of clinical and academic evidence, not to mention anecdotal. There is a very good and coherent explanation of how CHD develops and what the risk factors actually are.

Anyone in this day and age who is still fearing fat and praising carbs should be slapped in the head with their own adipose tissue.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Hand her a copy of the PB and say "When you've read this, we can talk about my diet. Until then, although I appreciate your concern for my health, it's not a topic that's open for discussion."
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Hand her a copy of the PB and say "When you've read this, we can talk about my diet. Until then, although I appreciate your concern for my health, it's not a topic that's open for discussion."
    "... also, I would like pay increase for this life-saving book"

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I've decided that for me I'm just not interested in talking about it with anybody. I never volunteered it, but people do ask questions when you don't eat breads/grains/sugar especially at work when we have potlucks and EVERYTHING is one of the above. It's like abstaining from eating crap leads to an inquisition about why. Then they argue with your answers. And ignore the fact that you have research backing your thoughts and they have... something they heard somewhere from someone... or read somewhere in some magazine somewhere.

Yesterday my workmates were talking about food and the little girl that sits next to me says "Well what would you EAT if you didn't eat carbs?" then proceeded to turn away. Like she was mad at me for suggesting anything else. It's truly as bad as talking about politics/relgion in that people are so attached to their foods and choices and ideas that the very idea something might change that makes them angry and unreasonable. I'm to the point where now I just mumble something about allergies/celiac whatever and change the subject. I'm not interested in having those types of discussions with anybody, it stresses me out.

I keep picturing "Idiocracy" where everybody's eating Carl's Junior, and big tubs of plasticky margerine stuff and drinking gatorade because "it has electrolytes"-- and they don't know what electrolytes are or why they should have them.

That movie makes me laugh, and cry at the same time...

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    ...the little girl that sits next to me says "Well what would you EAT if you didn't eat carbs?" then proceeded to turn away. Like she was mad at me for suggesting anything else...
    Wait until you are Grok Ripped...then she will be pissed at you!!! Everytime I get under 8% bodyfat, people get angry at me for making it look so easy, especially if I am eating different than CW says I should eat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast