Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK help page

PrimalMumUK is offline Junior Member

UK help

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    New here and wondered where people in the UK bulk buy things like nuts/coconut milk from? All the health food shops around here only sell small bags. Need to get the prices down if this way of eating is going to be sustainable for our family.
    Also has anyone found nitrate free bacon? I can't find it anywhere, even the local farm shops don't stock it and when I asked a butcher he sort of waved me off and said you can't make bacon without it!

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked Lidl? Great primal products in there for an affordable price. I don't worry about nitrates, see The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    try this place Healthy Supplies: Health Food Online.
    Its where I get most of my coconut stuff, "flours" (non grain types that is) nuts, dried frits etc.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

shinydragon is offline Junior Member
    I have found some good deals on nut butters and nakd bars on amazon.co.uk.

Thanks for that link, will now not worry about nitrate free bacon. Will make life easier! What kinds of things do you get from lidl? Meat?

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I just shop in Aldi for 95% of stuff and go to asda for the odd bits I can't get in Aldi (like vanilla redbush)

I don't know what your budget is but ours is about half of feck all and we manage this way - primal crap is better than non-primal crap. Nuts and ground almonds are cheap from aldi for hazel nuts and walnuts and almonds, and cashews (though they are hidden with the snaking nuts, not with the cooking stuff?!?), other nuts can be got cheap from lidl, pecans and brazils, I think the do sunflower and pumpkin seeds too.

I've found a propper butcher for organs and bones (I cycled back home with a cow thigh bone in my rucksack last week, man that was heavy)

We don't bother with stuff like coconut flour etc, we mainly eat mince, chicken, eggs, some bacon for protien. and I mange organs once a week, but I'm on my own unless it's chicken livers then the kids will eat them. We eat whatever veggies aldi has in, then cream, full fat greek yogert and butter, EVOO. We do get cheese from the local co-op as the seem to consitantly have good strong cheddar on BOGOF at them moment, and always look for short date meat there too.

We spend between 60 - 90 quid a week of all shopping (including loo rolls, nappies etc) every week for 5 of us and I eat a lot.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Oh my goodness, you're amazing, doing your weekly shop on that! My husband is a support worker so quite low wage and I'm a SAHM with 5 children. So eat a lot between us on a streched budget! We get all our veg from a local organic farm which is much cheaper than the shops, but it's the meat I'm trying to find good quality cheaper than 'Riverford'. I haven't seen nuts in lidl, so will have to search.
    Haha, the bones on bike, brilliant!
    I pick up a big bag of venison bones once a fortnight from the farmer's market for our dogs. I think people wonder what I'm feeding the kids!!

Dinohunter thanks for that link, I looked them up and at least you can get 1kg bags of stuff.

Shinydragon-nakd bars on amazon, that's so great. Our children love those, but expensive to buy even in the 4 pack.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I get nearly all my foodstuffs from Lidl and Aldi. I am starting to find that the Large free range eggs from Lidl are a fraction bigger than Aldi's for the same money. Lidl have half price offers on every weekend. Yesterday and today cucumbers and minced beef were there. Always worth looking at their websites for Aldi Super Six fruit 'n veg and Lidl's Sensational Deals.

I'm still on Sainsbugs' expensive coconut oil to fry my spinach or mushrooms for the good old morning two egg omelette, but I will be looking for better value in a larger container as the stuff doesn't go rancid.

Liver is just about the best value meat product and last time I bought it, got 180 grammes for 43 pence at our local butcher. Now that I'm off blood pressure medication I get four pink grapefruit for a pound from the local market. We will also check the market and local veg shop in case they have stuff cheaper than Aldi or Lidl.

Oh yes, I love Lidl's tinned herring in mustard sauce & mackerel in tomato sauce, and they're excellent value.

I have also decided to make a couple of deep beds in the back garden for veg and plant three small apple trees and a dwarfed plum in the front garden. I'll plant Nasturtiums round these fruit trees as they are apparently good companions and the leaves/flowers are tasty. I got the local library to order me a book on companion planting and in deep beds I should be able to get quite a lot of produce from a small space without pesticides etc.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMumUK View Post
    Oh my goodness, you're amazing, doing your weekly shop on that! My husband is a support worker so quite low wage and I'm a SAHM with 5 children. So eat a lot between us on a streched budget! We get all our veg from a local organic farm which is much cheaper than the shops, but it's the meat I'm trying to find good quality cheaper than 'Riverford'. I haven't seen nuts in lidl, so will have to search.
    Haha, the bones on bike, brilliant!
    Well there is less of us, only 3 kids, I do eat a lot though. We don't do anything organic, we just can't afford to be ethical, the only thing we get above standard is free range eggs, and an ocasional free range chicken, it's a fairly simple way to eat, usally have 2 -3 mince meals a week, at couple of meals where the main protien is eggs and some bacon (steaky unsmoked is less than 1 a pack) and bags of frozen chicken portions are very cheap so we normally have a casserole and roast chicken bits most weeks. Pate is cheap for lunch as are hard boiled eggs and we usally buy a chicken to roast and eat cold, which gives us a soup too from the bones and bits left-over.

It's a fairly simple way to eat, without much variety, but we are living on less than income support and paying a mortgage out of it, so things are tight right now. Might spash out when work comes in, but it's better than working for someone else's profits and having to send the kids to school for us.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post

I'm still on Sainsbugs' expensive coconut oil to fry my spinach or mushrooms for the good old morning two egg omelette, but I will be looking for better value in a larger container as the stuff doesn't go rancid.
    I dont know what your paying for the Sainsbury stuff but the link I posted above has Organic Biona Virgin Coconut Oil 800g for 14.99 (or a bit less if you order 3+) 800g last me ages!
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast