Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel frustrated/annoyed when reading success stories? page

diene is offline Senior Member

Does anyone else feel frustrated/annoyed when reading success stories?

Primal Fuel
    Every time I read one of these success stories, where going primal worked like magic for someone else, I just want to shoot myself. How come it's not working like magic for me? Why can't I just cut the carbs and magically shed all that excess body fat? I'm fit, I work out, I'm healthy, I never eat wheat, rarely eat other grains, except rice occasionally. WHY can't I lose the freaking muffin top? AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry for the whining. This is my Friday afternoon self-pity session. Back to work, back to work...

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Serenity, - and I am so with you on this one, althou I don't want to waste a bullet !!!!!! I would have a drink with you to celebrate our sorrows, but its only saturday morning here- so I might need to take a rain check !!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Serenity, - and I am so with you on this one, althou I don't want to waste a bullet !!!!!! I would have a drink with you to celebrate our sorrows, but its only saturday morning here- so I might need to take a rain check !!!!!!!
    Me too! I think changes are happening but it's SO SLOW! Where's the "fat melted off" for me...?
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

DoraV is online now Member
    Yes!! I'm another one waiting for the fat to just melt off. I've been at it for 15 months.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    No. I find them inspirational. I've never bought into "eat all you want." For one thing Mark is male. I'm not. He was an athlete. I was never even close. I.e., the things that work for him won't always work for me. Overweight people respond differently to food than do healthy weight people. Men, by virtue of their higher percentage of muscle mass can eat more than women and burn it, even if they both are couch parsnips. (Didn't want to bring potatoes into yet another thread.)

I keep a food log, so when I ask myself, "Why aren't I skinny?" I get the answers. Too much tequila and not enough exercise are my last chronic hurdles. Oh, and the occasional day of eating all I want and telling myself it's okay because I'm under 100 grams of carbs.

So, if I'm frustrated, it's at my own weaknesses to choose tequila over a size 0 denim skirt.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    maybe you need to buy different pants, and then there won't be a muffin top?

otherwise, I have no idea. I was amazed at the changes in my body when I went primal, so the stories don't bother me at all because it mirrors the experience that my husband and I had -- even though neither of us were overweight at all in any way, shape, or form. We just both got leaner. DH is definitely below 8%, and I'm around 18%. I think we were 10/20% when we started. So, the change isn't "dramatic" but it "worked."

Anyway, I don't know why it isn't working for ya.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I know it is tough....but it sounds like you might need to ditch the grains totally and take a good look at how clean your diet is, how much you work out and the amount of play.
    Cutting grains and lowering carbs is a big step but calories play a role as well...not the old cal in vs out but you do need to watch them.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    No. Mostly because I am one of those success stories.

Although I think Mark probably couldn't post pics of yours truly seated barechested feasting on photogenic sea mammals.

Vanbiesbrouck is offline Junior Member
    A while back, my mother got into Amway. They would have weekly/monthly meetings, and they'd encourage you to bring people to the meetings who may be interested in joining as a method of exposure. (AA probably does the same thing on the same premise, I don't know).

Each meeting, one person would get up to speak. One guy was a tax lawyer. Next guy used to be a construction worker. One person was a veterinarian. Each person would have a different story, a different style. They would tell you to keep coming, and to keep bringing people, and at each meeting you'd hear a different story. Single mom trying to start a business to make ends meet. Retired couple supplementing their income. Laid-off guy who didn't want to go back to the corporate grind, etc.

The idea was to keep exposing you to different people, different stories. If you were a lawyer, you'd probably discount the construction worker's story, but you'd listen to the tax lawyer's story because you'd make a connection to him on some level (same background, similar class/income, same education, same challenges, etc). If you went over and over, eventually you found someone who was pretty much you up there...and you'd feel at home.

So...if I were you, I'd just keep reading them. Eventually, you'll find a muffintop that spent 15 months at it, and then, wham, she figured it all out. Just a theory, but, hang in there. Also, there's a "primal women's thread", and I bet you could find someone in there whose story you mimic, that might be willing/able to help.

(PS, I dropped out of Amway. But other than that...)

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you just blowing off steam or do you want some help? You'll need to provide details if you want help
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast