Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel frustrated/annoyed when reading success stories? page 4

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have accepted long ago that it is not easy for me to control my weight. I do envy other people who found their solution. One day I may stumble across mine. Or not. I know what trips me - sugar, binging and hunger, all inter-related, and Primal model does not magically heal me. The harder I seem to try, the worst I seem to perform. I start developing an aversion to healthy lifestyle, and more an more often I start wondering if I am better off giving up and embracing first gaining weight, then becoming overweight, then obese...
    Last edited by Leida; 12-10-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I keep a food log, so when I ask myself, "Why aren't I skinny?" I get the answers. Too much tequila and not enough exercise are my last chronic hurdles. Oh, and the occasional day of eating all I want and telling myself it's okay because I'm under 100 grams of carbs.

So, if I'm frustrated, it's at my own weaknesses to choose tequila over a size 0 denim skirt.
    Haha! I have that problem too. Well, not with exercising--I love working out (but it took me years of forcing myself to go to the gym before I got to the point where I love going), but definitely the alcohol. And the days where I eat 2500-3000 calories and tell myself that it's okay because I was under 100 grams of carbs. Haha! When I first went primal, I was actually consistently eating 2100-2300 calories a day and thought that I would lose weight because I was staying under 100 g of carbs. I did lose weight at first, actually, especially after I started IFing, but then I gained it all back and more. *Sigh*

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    All good ideas up in here. But where's the sprinting? If you only do one workout a week (and are otherwise a normal, walking, busy person) it should be sprinting! Every muscle in your body can use it. And as you increase your muscle mass, you burn more fat. Same for lifting heavy. You won't get huge muscles.

I'm a somewhat strong guy and this did work like magic for me, so I can't really say too much. Lost the first 20 pounds (water weight, inflammation) just quitting candy and soda. Lost the next 15 pounds going low-carb, grain-free Primal. But my last fine tuning was increasing protein, to the tune of about a pound of meat a day. (After 0 dairy and nuts dialed back to once a week). That might be chicken hearts, beef liver (YES, a pound of liver), fish, bacon or beef with eggs on the side - but I start every meal (once a day, usually) with a massive chunk of meat and that helped me stay energized while losing an additional +/- 10 pounds. Fat first, but protein a close second. A cup of coconut milk in my coffee daily for ketone metabolism upregulation was a big help, too. All told I've lost almost 50 pounds depending on salt and fluid intake! But it was a SLOW road. Like a pound a month. Doing this almost three years now.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I believe there is a critical number of calories that renders the Primal approach to weight loss ineffective. If you can eat above a certain number of calories (~ 1500 range) to lose Primal will work for you, because 60-70% fat still allows for a fair bit of volume and protein to be added to meet that caloric intake. But once you have to be below this number, than the hunger game starts because unless you really engineer your every meal, it is hard to fit even enough protein into that range, and almost impossible to get enough volume. A meal of 3 eggs, a 1/4 cup of egg whites and a tbsp of fat nets you 500 calories, and volumetrically it is tiny. And you only can have 3 of those meals a day. As soon as you touch fattier meat, both the protein and volume goes down dramatically and 1500 cals are quickly spent before you get the nutrients you need - so you create a foraging state that is expressed as hunger, even if calorically you should be full. At a certain break point, you just can't satiate on fat alone with a lack of protein to keep calories to the losing range.

That's why it doesn't work like magic for smaller males and ladies.

EDIT: And, imo, the biggest mistake a woman can make on this diet is sacrifice the hefty portions of vegetables to chase a very low carb count. Soups is the girl's best friend, not bacon.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Cleaning all the processed gunk out of your diet makes everything function better and allows your body to start healing itself from whatever ails you
    +1. It may take some people longer to see the full spectrum of results because some people are more metabolically/hormonally damaged than others. Better to think of it this way, as allowing your body to heal by removing the things that were causing the damage.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Hunger and satiation are very individual issues... I'm 5'9" female... I eat below 1500 regularly and I'm never hungry.

I eat high fat and low carb because it helps control water fluctuations that would affect my brain pressure.

Plus it just feels more comfortable and natural for me to IF and eat the one meal a day plus coffee w/ cream or a cup of yoghurt, or some days nothing but water.

Eating 3 tiny meals a day might feel weird (to be honest I'd just be kind of grossed out by forcing myself to eat food early in the day, my belly just doesn't want it)... one bigger meal feels fine to me. And it's actually often well under 1500. 1500kcal is a lot of food in one sitting and I'm not bothered much to count.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I would imagine that a lot of the people who have major and effortless success are coming from major SAD - lots and lots grains and fast food, therefore cleaning up their diet is a huge change. Also, it's likely that many of these people don't have issues with food and still know how to eat when hungry, stop when full etc.

I came from a diet that was generally good - some grains but loads of veggies and no fast or processed food, however I also have a 20 odd year history of dieting where I was either 'being good' and losing weight or 'being bad' and gaining - nothing in between.

I lost 10lbs reasonably effortlessly - although not quickly - and thereafter lost virtually nothing for around 10 months. It was pointed out to me that I had learned how to maintain my weight - which, bearing in mind where I have come from, is quite an achievement. But, it has taken quite a bit of tweaking and trying different things before I have found a way to start losing weight again. And it is still very slow - but lifting heavy, HIIT and low carb/high fat is working....for me!

We're all different and no one thing works for everyone. It is enjoyable and sustainable, which is why it works - but it isn't effortless. For now I have to stay away from nuts and sweet potatoes apart from as an occasional treat - but that's fine, because I know that once I get to where I want to be I'll add them back and watch to see where my tipping point is. I know I can eat and live like this for the rest of my life....and that's what PB is about.

The success stories are great. I don't get frustrated because I feel happy for those who have had success, and it gives me heart that, although I'm not there yet, I'm going to get there.

It isn't going to just fall off, you do have to work at it - it's just a case of finding what works best for you in a way that is sustainable and enjoyable. Good luck.

Koobs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Every time I read one of these success stories, where going primal worked like magic for someone else, I just want to shoot myself. How come it's not working like magic for me? Why can't I just cut the carbs and magically shed all that excess body fat? I'm fit, I work out, I'm healthy, I never eat wheat, rarely eat other grains, except rice occasionally. WHY can't I lose the freaking muffin top? AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry for the whining. This is my Friday afternoon self-pity session. Back to work, back to work...
    Well, obviously what you are doing is no longer producing the results you want. Time to change it up. Eat less/different foods, try a new workout routine, etc. Place higher demands on your body and it will adapt accordingly.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I have seen both sides in person. Funnily enough at 5' 2" it has been really easy for me, but my husband has found it really difficult, he keeps stalling and is a bit frustrated, where I am now at a point where I am lower than I think is good for me, at 107lbs. I am having trouble eating enough, with the cravings gone I forget to eat and don't realize until I am out and about and starting to feel weak. I think for me removing all the foods I was intolerant or allergic to has made a huge difference. I have noticed that if I eat anything with any sugar or too high carb. causes slight cravings. I do not count any calories, but on starting used the palm of the hand rule for protein. I do eat really slowly, a habit I learned doing the French Women diet plans. Seeing a plate of food and eating just half and pausing to see if I really do need more. Exercise wise I am not doing close to enough......something I really need to work on.

My husband has eaten out more and eats more quickly, so unless I nudge him he kinda scarfs it down LOL. He is gradually losing but with many stalls, he cheats more but is generally feeling a lot better.

Leida, the amounts I see for food on here blow my mind. I couldn't eat 3 eggs for breakfast, and never could in my life. If I was making an omelette I used to use one full egg and one white. So the differences are obvious. I can't eat eggs at all now though
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 12-11-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I will blink away one egg and one egg white... (Sigh). Today that was my breakfast at 9:30 am, and I barely managed to survive till 1:30 pm when I had a huge bowl of green and broccoli slaw with 1 cup of chopped liver, 1/2 avocado and 3 radishes. And 6 Brazil Nuts in between. All I did was 45 min of heavy/failure lifting and KBs (to pouring sweat) - shorter session than normal for me, then stood in the bus and in the office (will total 9 to 10 hours standing) and a 45 min brisk walk. I will still do 20 min as HIT as can do cardio and steam room after work while my baby is in her badminotn class, bake & cook supper and have supper (soup with roast pork,kale and pumpkin, maybe onions and turnips if we still have any, maybe 2 cups...), and probably apple and yogurt (mmgh). At least it's been an hour since lunch and I am not hungry yet. 'Tis a blessing! I dunno, I am hungry, and I hate to call myself a 'big appetite gal' since according to Susan Albers it is a self-fulfilling prophecy... And, YES, I did the VLC for a month, stuffing myself choke-ful of coconut oil and meat and no veggies or fruit whatsoever, for a glorious failure. No miracles for me.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast