Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel frustrated/annoyed when reading success stories? page 3

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I almost never enjoy success stories, I'm not sure why.... so here's my strategy: I don't read them. sounds simple, no? But, I'll admit it's not always easy to just NOT click or hit "delete."
    I guess curiosity killed the cat?

also re: the muffin top, that's improperly fitting pants, plain and simple. I have always had the HARDEST time finding clothes that fit my body, pants specifically, so I know how many different shapes/cuts there are that are all labeled the same "size."
    Find a brand/style that is cut for your shape - for ME, that means keywords like "roomier through hips and thighs" or "relaxed fit" and/or "sits just below natural waist" - if I get lower-rise jeans in the same size/cut, that will result in a muffin-top.

*shrug*... hope that helps.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    maybe you need to buy different pants, and then there won't be a muffin top?

That was my first thought, too
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That was my first thought, too
    Yep.

That number inside clothing is not an indication of anything except a way to locate a possible fit on the rack.
    It's not a judgement and should not feel like one.
    If it makes a muffin top, get a bigger size or a different cut.

...then work on that other stuff, and have some patience because it can take time.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I've never read any of your other posts, but what is your goal in Primal? Is it only just to lose weight? Because if it is, I think you're going about it all wrong...

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Why shouldn't it be a goal? I understand that it's not the most noble of goals, but aesthetics matter, and weight loss is as good of a goal as any. It's a shallow world, and I bet most of the people here join to lose weight, improved health is a side effect.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I really like the success stories. I find them inspirational, that this way of living can lead to a healthier life. I don't apply them much to myself as I don't have a lot of weight to lose or suffer from terrible health problems (knock on wood). I just like the stories because they're happy.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Every time I read one of these success stories, where going primal worked like magic for someone else, I just want to shoot myself. How come it's not working like magic for me? Why can't I just cut the carbs and magically shed all that excess body fat? I'm fit, I work out, I'm healthy, I never eat wheat, rarely eat other grains, except rice occasionally. WHY can't I lose the freaking muffin top? AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry for the whining. This is my Friday afternoon self-pity session. Back to work, back to work...
    Hi, serenity. As someone who was once in your frustrated and POed shoes and then went on to become one of Marks Friday Success Story posts, I can see both sides of this.

The key for me was the wake up call that Primal is not magic, never was. You still have to get off your bum and do the work.

Primal does make it easier to do that work. Cleaning all the processed gunk out of your diet makes everything function better and allows your body to start healing itself from whatever ails you be it thyroid problems, metabolic dysfunction, etc.
    Also going low(ER) carb allows you to cut back on calories while not having blood sugar roller coaster rides and white knuckled hunger pangs. (Even those folks who include spuds and such in their primal fare are still way lower carb than the pasta and garlic bread with a cola and dessert SAD.)

But you still have to cut the calories overall. For some people it seems like magic because they just aren't as hungry on Primal so they spontaneously reduce their caloric intake. Lucky ducks! Other of us actually have to be more proactive and do the counting.

The story of my wake up call can be found here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

I wish you well.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    If losing weight, preferrably fat is your goal then I totally agree with Paleobird on this one, you have to maintain a calorie deficit. It is easier when eating primal, but it is critical that you focus on this to ensure fat loss success. Also I am a big believer in Intermittent Fasting, if you haven't done this yet give it a try, it jumped started my fat loss after a sticking point. However, we are all different and you will just have to keep experimenting to see what works best for your body. The great thing about success stories is that most of them have had to overcome significant obstacles and I find that highly motivating.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    The first 5kg melted off me... errm and then the melting stopped and the 15kg I still need to lose stubbornly remained!! So yeah, I'm still working at it, recommitting and taking one day at a time!

AussieNana is offline Member
    Serenity, I can appreciate your pain. Its taken me about five years to do what some people manage in three months. Its not that I was doing something wrong, but that I had to do some additional things to make the weight loss happen. Just going primal didn't stop the cravings. Neither does the weight come off in a regular fashion. Sometimes it just drops off. Sometimes it just stops and I have to work hard just to maintain my current weight. As someone with additional health problems I have to recognise that going primal is just one aspect of things.

I'm happy to share more if you want to talk but I do know that just venting can sometimes be useful. So vent away! And don't worry about those who sound holier than thou because they have managed to make it work for them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast