Thread: Dairy (cow and goat) giving me GI symptoms 24hrs after eating page

Meghanner is offline Senior Member

Dairy (cow and goat) giving me GI symptoms 24hrs after eating

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Warning...this is not a very lady-like thread. I'm just curious if this happens to anyone else. I eliminated dairy (cow/goat/raw) from my diet and experienced AMAZING improvement in my GI health. I do miss the occasional piece of raw goats milk cheese and when I do eat even the SMALLEST piece about 18-24hrs later I start to experience a burning pain in my intestines, foul gas that burns and bloating that lasts about 3 days. I've tried raw organic "lactose-free" cheeses and the same thing happens. Anyone else experience this?

My Dr. tells me it can't be lactose intolerance as symptoms of this intolerance usually occur within a few hours, but quite frankly, she must be wrong because this happens to me every time. She also told me casein allergy produces an anaphylactic response so it's not likely casein either. Again, I feel like she's missing something here.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    You can be allergic to dairy without being intolerant to it. I have a dairy allergy, but am not lactose intolerant. My allergy is low level. When I consumed dairy daily, I had constant phlegm in my throat and acid reflux so severe I had to take Prevacid daily for 9 years. I also developed Hashimoto's disease, an autoimmune condition of the thyroid gland. When I saw a doctor about my thyroid, I was told that autoimmune diseases are often triggered by food allergies and she put me on an anti-inflammatory diet. After 3 weeks when I added dairy back in I got a migraine, hives, upset stomach, the works. It was the one food I tested positive for an allergy. And yet, I am able to consume it, if I'm willing to put up with the side effects. I don't develop anaphylaxis or anything like that. However, by keeping dairy out of my diet 99% of the time, my acid reflux resolved itself and I don't use any antacids any longer. The phlegm in my throat also resolved.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    You can be allergic to dairy without being intolerant to it. I have a dairy allergy, but am not lactose intolerant. My allergy is low level. When I consumed dairy daily, I had constant phlegm in my throat and acid reflux so severe I had to take Prevacid daily for 9 years. I also developed Hashimoto's disease, an autoimmune condition of the thyroid gland. When I saw a doctor about my thyroid, I was told that autoimmune diseases are often triggered by food allergies and she put me on an anti-inflammatory diet. After 3 weeks when I added dairy back in I got a migraine, hives, upset stomach, the works. It was the one food I tested positive for an allergy. And yet, I am able to consume it, if I'm willing to put up with the side effects. I don't develop anaphylaxis or anything like that. However, by keeping dairy out of my diet 99% of the time, my acid reflux resolved itself and I don't use any antacids any longer. The phlegm in my throat also resolved.
    Thats super helpful! Thanks.I know I can't eat dairy, it has always just been a puzzling response. I did however make some delightful cranberry aged cashew "cheese" good enough to spread on some veggies and greens over the holidays!