Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Researchers say dieting not worth it page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

Researchers say dieting not worth it

Shop Now
    People don't lose that much weight or improve cardiovascular health:
    A. Janet Tomiyama: Is Dieting Worth the Trouble?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Lol at the changing definitions of weight loss success.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, we can't get people to lose enough weight to see if there's any impact on cardivascular health, so let's just say it's not worth trying. I'd still be 185lbs with a 5% weight loss. I don't need a study to tell me that would have had almost zero impact on me physically. Nutrition science is full of the most idiotic research...
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Funny, it takes the average smoker eight tries to quit. But no one ever says it's not worth it when they relapse seven times. And yes, I know a lot of people who quit on their very first try, but perhaps that's because most people don't brag about "failure."

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Isn't the bigger problem the "diet" mindset... that whatever they are going to do is temporary.

I just have to quit eating "x" foods until I lose "x" lbs.

People don't need "diets"... they need long term dietary changes. Life changes.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Cori, as a person who has had to lose weight three times in her life, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Like criminals, who are often caught because they don't plan the "after" of a crime, I think "dieters" (or at least me) rebound because we don't plan the "after" for when we reach goal weight. I have finally learned (I hope).

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    @cori and JoanieL: http://alicerants.blog.com/2012/10/27/against-diets/
    My view on the dreaded "diet".

poundslly is offline Banned
    yeah, a lot of people who quit on their very first try, but perhaps that's because most people don't brag about "failure."

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    "Although the trial led to improved quality of life, decreases in sleep apnea, reduced need for diabetes medication, and delayed physical disability, it did not achieve its most important objective of fewer strokes, heart attacks, or cardiovascular deaths."

Why on earth would you "give up" on something that has so many OTHER benefits, even if the main goal wasn't realised? Evidently if people have a better quality of life after losing weight, that's something to be happy about even if the incidence of cardiac events weren't reduced (but to me that's probably because they lost weight the CW way and were eating "healthy" polyunsaturated oils and margarines etc.).

To me the whole study is just another example of how people have been getting it all wrong for so many years!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    "Although the trial led to improved quality of life, decreases in sleep apnea, reduced need for diabetes medication, and delayed physical disability, it did not achieve its most important objective of fewer strokes, heart attacks, or cardiovascular deaths."

Why on earth would you "give up" on something that has so many OTHER benefits, even if the main goal wasn't realised? Evidently if people have a better quality of life after losing weight, that's something to be happy about even if the incidence of cardiac events weren't reduced (but to me that's probably because they lost weight the CW way and were eating "healthy" polyunsaturated oils and margarines etc.).

To me the whole study is just another example of how people have been getting it all wrong for so many years!
    Its the failings of our current scientific method. If you weren't looking for it it doesn't matter. If the the experiment was to study the effects of diet on cardiovascular markers (usually not even the right ones) and you saw no effect then the diet was a fail. Forget about the quality of life, better sleep, less meds and so on ....that wasn't what we were studying! Heck I'm surprised they even gave that stuff an honorable mention! Usually they just bury those "side effects" of a healthy lifestyle and report "no significant change in cardio markers".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast