Thread: Questions on fat/carb intake/insulin, please help!! page

thex1138 is offline Junior Member

Arrow Questions on fat/carb intake/insulin, please help!!

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone! So I've been researching Paleo/Primal A LOT this past year. I just finished Sisson's "21 Day Total Body Transformation", and I'm currently half way through the Primal Blueprint.. They both ROCK so far and my knowledge on this field is skyrocketing compared to when I was just looking up internet articles. I have a question though; ever since I began reading his books, I'm learning a lot more about the scientific-technical side of things, and I just recently found out that insulin spikes will cause you to store any dietary fat/some protein/excess carbs as body fat.. I've been Primal for about a week and a half now, but I just realized how important it is to up my fat consumption, so about 3-4 days ago I started jacking up my fat intake from around 40-70g per day, to 120g+ per day (I'm a 5'11, 145lb, 20 year old male for those wondering).

I woke up yesterday with low energy, and slept a VERY long time, and I figured my carbs were too low, because my fat intake was definitely high enough to provide a fat adapted person energy (I don't think I'll be properly fat adapted for another 1-2 weeks). I've been mostly avoiding fruit and unknowingly (due to lack of attention) staying in the keto range, probably around 30-50g of carbs. So, I'm now going to begin including fruit, and aim for about 80-100g carbs, but im wondering : will me eating fruit (low/moderate glycemic index types) such as apples, berries, apricots, etc, cause enough of an insulin spike to store my macronutrients as body fat? If so, should I wait an hour or so after a meal before consuming this fruit, and would it be wise to refrain from eating a tbsp of coconut oil while also eating an apple so it doesn't get stored right away? Could I continue eating 2-3 pieces of dark chocolate with a handful of macadamia nuts, or will the sugar from the chocolate cause me to store away the fat from macadamias? Is there a certain amount of glucose that will cause me to store away fat, or will ANY amount of glucose in my meals cause my insulin to store away fat?

(Also, I'm not overweight at all.. But I would like to get as lean as possible while experiencing maximum amounts of energy)

Sorry for the loaded question!! Anyone that could shed some light on this topic would be a huge help!

Thank you

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    That is a lot of questions. My answer is try eating some fruit and keep a log for a few weeks of a variety of parameters like how well you sleep, weight, how well you perform, any other symptoms you can think of (bowl movements, headahes, whatever...). Then take the fruit away and do it all again. As you already alluded to it takes 2-4 weeks of lower carb and higher fat to become better adapted, but that does not mean you have to be in ketogenic levels to experience the benefits of being a fat burning machine

Unless your really interested in the biochemistry and want to learn complicated pathways then simple self experimentation like which I stated above is your best bet IMO.

Personally, I have come to a point over years of being able to trust my cravings and know that whatever I want at this time is likely what I need. But, I'm also not a sugar addict and have never been a processed food junky. So I naturally tend toward low carb for my current activity level and lifestyle.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-07-2012 at 09:42 AM.

thex1138 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks! So do you think it's fine to consume an apple or some other fruit/dark chocolate around my meals without the insulin causing me to store fat?

If anyone else has insight, please also feel free to share