Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously- Low Fat? page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Seriously- Low Fat?

Forget diets: Cutting fat keeps you slim - Vitals

Ooooo, you can lose 3.5 lbs opting for low fat versus the SAD diet. I'd say that's about what you can hope to expect eating a miserable low fat diet. Throw in some chronic cardio and you might lose 5. Then when your body craves fat, you can go on an eating bender and gain back those 5 lbs plus 5 more.

Of course, actually eating fat and cutting processed foods and reducing carbs to reasonable levels yielded me a loss of over 35 lbs to date.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I saw it on the news this morning. To her credit, the anchor lady kind of laughed it off and said: "Hm, on the other hand we are being told that a low in fat diet would make people feel less satisfied and will load up on sugars".

Just another one of those senseless no news nutrition reports out there.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    After experimenting with my diet a lot, I actually feel the best on a low fat/high carb diet. My digestion is better, my mood and energy levels are better, and I overall enjoy my food more eating this way. Plus, I've found that since I've added back starches and real cane sugar (not HFCS) to my diet, I have MUCH less of a sweet tooth than when I was low carb.

It's a shame that low-fat is automatically associated with eating fake frankenfoods, because I still eat plenty of fruit, grassfed meats, seafood, and gluten-free starches, I just cook without much (or no) added fats. Doing this, it's quite easy to eat low fat (especially since I don't eat nuts or dairy) but still be eating good quality foods.

The only way I've ever been able to lose weight is by cutting back on fat. My body really thrives on carbs. So I actually don't see why this article is so off-base.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Many fat sedative people seem to do better on higher fat and many lean and physically active people seem to do better on higher carbs. Personally I like to cycle between high proteins, moderate fat, low carb and a diet of moderate protein, high carbs, low fat, and also just staying "steady state" on a diet of high protein, moderate fat and moderate carb.

Lyle McDonald on Carbohydrates:

Lyle McDonald Interview Part 3 (Carbohydrates) «

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I think cutting fat in a high fat diet is a reasonable way to restrict calories for some people, especially in the short-term. Fat is fantastic for us, but if you already have a surplus of it, you might benefit from restricting it to create a deficit. Fat doesn't take much energy to absorb, but carbs and protein have a much higher thermal effect. Of course we're all different, but after this current experiment I'm doing, I see that high fat can make weight loss more difficult as its so caloric but dense; very little volume. You have to eat to satiety, whatever combination that might be. And lower fat might be the key for many who respond better to it.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I still can't find what works for me. Savory paleo (i.e lower end of the fat spectrum) without fruit, nuts and dairy worked great for me, but I did not have the will power or serotonin or whatever to go on. maybe the trick is that it eliminate all treat foods and you stop over-eating. But once the treat foods are gone, it slowly becomes very depressing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    To me low-fat in the context of whole foods Primal diet has a different meaning compared to CW's version of low fat - Lean Cuizine, cereal, skim milk and whole grain wheat, granola bars type of foods.

I bet most people associate low-fat with the latter.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have to say that I like low fat dairy more than full fat one. I dislike cream, sour-cream and butter, but skim greek yogurt or quark is great. Whole grains are pretty tasty as well, if you actually eat grains, not processed variations... I really like the lean ham as well, probably the only processed product I don't mind.

I would also eat turkey before I touch bacon (which I found vomit-inducing before primal).

I dunno, I just can't stand grease on my food, I find I gag on it. Like a little shine is Okay, but if it separates, oi.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    I like bacon.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Personally I like to cycle between high proteins, moderate fat, low carb and a diet of moderate protein, high carbs, low fat, and also just staying "steady state" on a diet of high protein, moderate fat and moderate carb.

Lyle McDonald on Carbohydrates:

Lyle McDonald Interview Part 3 (Carbohydrates) «
    I am experimenting with mixing it up also. Zig zag of sorts I guess. If I were to settle on something consistent, it would be about a 3 way split. Up to about 40% fat for weight loss. I try to stay around 60 or fewer grams of fat per day. I dont run from fats in things like meat, I just limit the extra fat like the butter on top. But if I see I am topping out, I will make leaner choices.

Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

High fat slows me down. Too high of fat makes me gain (even with low calories - I know, call me weird) I am full though, and full on low calories. I think maybe it might have worked better had I upped the calorie on some days, as well as upping the carbs from time to time.

So it might work again sometime. In fact I tried to go high fat with lower the carbs after Thanksgiving, and it worked, but I still was only at 50% fat.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast