Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indian Clubs / Power Clubs page

DidNothingFatal is offline Senior Member

Question Indian Clubs / Power Clubs

Hi,

Does anybody use Indian/Power Clubs? Are you mixing these in with any other weight exercises? Results, worthy addition or move along?

I'm considering adding Club workouts to my training regime; Kettlebells, barefoot running and the non primal mountain biking

cheers,
    Paul
    Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    I recently added 15 lb club bells about 6 mos ago to my home gym, which includes kettlebells, and a Stronger Grip loadable mace. I'm very happy having them in the mix as it strengthens the upper body in a circular manner whereas kettlebells is more linear. I mix it up using one, two or all of the implements in any given workout. My regimen also includes bodyweight (pull ups, pistols, pushups, indian squats) and sprints. The great thing is, while my neighbors take up half their garages with benches and barbells, my entire gym only takes up about 4 square feet of space in my garage.

bruce.b is offline Member
    If someone does Indian clubs I'd like to hear about it too. I'm having a problem straightening my arms when bridging and I think it's a shoulder flexibility (or perhaps T spine) issue.

bruce b.

Jeffrw is offline Junior Member
    I was hoping someone would bring these up. They are really starting to interest me too.

I saw Dragondoor carries them now with a DVD for I think $60 and John Wood sells them in a similar package with the same DVD plus a reproduction of a 100 year old Indian Club poster for $70.

I spoke to my local kettlebell centre, as they sell their version which is a machine spun steel variant. Based on my activities, predominiately climbing and biking, they have advised a single 6kg club, and are putting together a program for improved grip and forearm endurance, so I guess training with it will start next week, will post updates if anyone is interested.

IslandWarrior808 is offline Junior Member
    @primalclubber - how do you like that mace? I have a homemade one, that I got the idea from Steve Maxwells blog. I'm sure it doesn't compare to a well made mace but shipping can be extremely pricey to Hawaii. Ive been thinking about adding some PVC foam to the handle to step up the gripwork.

@IslandWarrior - Aloha. Love the mace and it was Steve and Mark's blogs that inspired me. Homemade is cool but if you're looking check out the Stronger Grip loadable mace(that Mark featured). It's well-made and is beautifully finished. Unloaded it's only 11 lbs (5" globe) and I think I only paid $15 shipping domestic, and they have a new extendable handle version. I have it loaded to 24 lbs with steel bbs and with the 1.66 diam handle it's one hell of a grip workout so you definitely should build up the handle.
    Last edited by primalclubber; 04-16-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DidNothingFatal View Post
    I spoke to my local kettlebell centre, as they sell their version which is a machine spun steel variant. Based on my activities, predominiately climbing and biking, they have advised a single 6kg club, and are putting together a program for improved grip and forearm endurance, so I guess training with it will start next week, will post updates if anyone is interested.
    Why only one club and what types of exercises are they recommending? Just curious. I follow Steve Sonnen's clubbell program and alot of the movements are with 2 clubs.

Having done several drills with the single club, I recently acquired a second 6kg club, double club drills are now on the cards. One instant benefit has been the strengthening of a broken shoulder injury from years ago, including increased mobility which is a great benefit for climbing, obviously endurance is gaining at a rate of knots too, friends at the rock gym are getting intrigued by this as a training method

Anyway, I came across this page, normally you need to sign up to a website to get the link, but it's worth a look.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    DNF, you'll find having a pair of clubs adds versatility to your routines. I've had a pair of 15 lb clubs since January, and expected these to be plenty of weight. But working these has gotten so much easier I might be looking to add either 20 or 25 lb clubs in the next couple of months, but likely a pair of loadable clubs from the guy who made my mace. I thinks club work can be a benefit for many types of athletes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast