Thread: Drought is going to raise food prices page

Shalimar is offline Member

Drought is going to raise food prices

Primal Fuel
    ClimateWatch Magazine Water Waning into Winter

I don't know if this will affect our type of food. The meat I buy eats locally raised hay in the winter, but I know they have to buy hay or other forage now and then. I'm going to the farmers market this morning and will ask.

So are grass fed prices going to rise along with wheat-related? And those of us who can't afford the grass fed, are you stocking up on freezer meat?
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    the only ways i could see grass fed beef prices rising in a drought situation is if gas prices somehow rise & if the grazing fields didn't get enough rain and feed had to be supplemented
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    the only ways i could see grass fed beef prices rising in a drought situation is if gas prices somehow rise & if the grazing fields didn't get enough rain and feed had to be supplemented
    Well, part of it is supply and demand. People will pay more for grass-fed beef. As such, it tends to be more expensive than feedlot beef. Given the drought, the government buying up a ton of cattle a few months back, and the ethenol mandate jacking up corn prices the price of commercial beef is expected to go up next year. I foresee grassfed going up as well to maintain the price difference between the two.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Well that sucks
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Hay prices went up this year in my area, which is winter feed while the ground is frozen and covered in snow. However, my local grass-fed beef farmer did not raise prices - however at that particular farm they grow their own hay.

Shalimar is offline Member
    We did have a great hay harvest here. Prices on grass fed so far are stable and the Northeast is not officially in a drought, just a tad below average rainfall.

They say the price increases due to drought in the Midwest have not hit yet. And the winter wheat crop, which is very poor, is not harvested yet.

Yeah, what I am wary of is that high price difference being maintained. Wonder if it could reach a point ever where local grass fed is cheaper than trucked in feedlot beef. That would need very high fuel prices and low demand...probably not going to happen anytime soon.

However, in the meantime, I am looking for bargains for my freezer.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less