Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Mamas! page

BellsOfIreland is offline Junior Member

Breastfeeding Mamas!

Is anyone else out there breastfeeding?

Please tell me I am not the only one holding onto weight like crazy! For the past couple weeks I have been much more strict, and the only result was a drop in supply. This is so frustrating. I thought breastfeeding was supposed to make weight loss so easy---this is serious misinformation. I guess it works for some people, not me for sure!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am not breastfeeding, but I've read on some diet boards that there are two hormonal reactions--you either drop weight easily while breastfeeding or you cannot lose an ounce until you're finished breastfeeding. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground, and it's impossible to control how your own body will respond.

If you're not going to be able to lose weight until you've finished breastfeeding, you need to just focus on nourishing yourself and your child during this time.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been nursing? Are you exclusively nursing?

I nursed my daughter for 15 months. I don't thing the weight really started coming off till 8 mo. Or so. Also, if you are restricting calories too much, your body may be holding on to weight b/c it feels too deprived.

My advise: stop stressing- cortisol levels effect weight-loss. Focus on good sources of fat and protein to keep milk production. Focus on the health of your baby. If you are exclusively breast-feeding, milk supply is far more important than losing weight.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    I breastfed 3 children - all to around a year old when they weaned by themselves. I did not lose one kilo until they stopped feeding. You won't get this time back again. Enjoy nourishing your baby and getting the right nutrition for him/her. These few months are just a dot in the timeline of you and your baby - don't compromise your supply.

I used to look sideways in envy at other mothers who said they were losing weight and feeding - I just didn't. But you will - just a bit later than you would like! So just think of this time as a few months where you chill out about your body's size, and appreciate the magical/incredible job it is doing to keep your baby healthy and growing...

jmw280 is offline Junior Member
    My weight just fell off with my first two kids while breastfeeding, but is hanging on with Number 3. I nurse exclusively, and I'm eating better than I ever have, so I'm thinking there's nothing to do but be patient.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    First of all, I want to say "HEY!" to everyone...I have a hard time staying on the Paleo/Primal wagon while pregnant...lol.
    I had my little guy 2 weeks ago (3rd baby, but it's been 9 yrs since the last) so we are exclusively breastfeeding, too. I really hope the weight comes off, I have 10 lbs to get to pre preg, but I need to lose another 20 that I put on last year when I quit smoking. I was tinkering with my birth control to see if that was the reason I couldn't shake the weight, and hello, surprise baby.
    I think it is different for everyone, and I am wondering how age plays into it too, I am 39 this time around...It might not be as easy as it was 10 yrs ago...I had my girls in 02 and 03 and gained 50lbs with each, and lost it in a few months. I gained 35 with this one..sigh..we will just have to wait and see. I certainly didn't eat so well back then!
    I agree that it is more important to keep up supply and nutrition then to worry about the scale...easier said than done!

Zach is offline Banned
    The first year of the childs life is just as importent as pregnancy as far as development for the rest of his life. Dont think about fat loss, think about eating the most nutrient dense diet you can. The weight will come off but it can take over a year.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Have you had your thyroid tested? Postpartum hypothyroid is, in my opinion, one of the most under-diagnosed condition for postpartum mom's in North America. If your levels are off it may make weight loss more difficult.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Maybe how much was gained during pregnancy has something to do with it? I gained 25 lbs, all of it in the first 2 trimesters. I ate strictly primal in the 3rd trimester and didn't gain anything (baby kept growing though). All the extra weight was gone by 6 weeks postpartum. I was nursing dd exclusively, and ate very well. I'm still breastfeeding my 18 month old, eating as nutrient dense as possible, and satiating appetite.

I noticed I easily gain weight when I overeat, but cannot lose beyond a certain point, and still carry around what seems like very stubborn fat around my belly.

BellsOfIreland is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmontana View Post
    How long have you been nursing? Are you exclusively nursing?

I nursed my daughter for 15 months. I don't thing the weight really started coming off till 8 mo. Or so. Also, if you are restricting calories too much, your body may be holding on to weight b/c it feels too deprived.

My advise: stop stressing- cortisol levels effect weight-loss. Focus on good sources of fat and protein to keep milk production. Focus on the health of your baby. If you are exclusively breast-feeding, milk supply is far more important than losing weight.
    I've been nursing six months, exclusively except for a couple tablespoons of fruit or veg here and there since we started solids a month ago.

Cortisol may be playing a big part here because we (i.e., baby) haven't been sleeping too well. I feel fine but I know five hours of sleep, and not even all together, is not enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast