Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Mamas! page 2

BellsOfIreland is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    I breastfed 3 children - all to around a year old when they weaned by themselves. I did not lose one kilo until they stopped feeding. You won't get this time back again. Enjoy nourishing your baby and getting the right nutrition for him/her. These few months are just a dot in the timeline of you and your baby - don't compromise your supply.

I used to look sideways in envy at other mothers who said they were losing weight and feeding - I just didn't. But you will - just a bit later than you would like! So just think of this time as a few months where you chill out about your body's size, and appreciate the magical/incredible job it is doing to keep your baby healthy and growing...
    Thank you for chiming in! I have been so discouraged because most of my friends either don't BF very long, or lose easily. I have been worried about my supply the past few days, and I ate a bunch of pizza one night (I know, slap my hand, gluten bad) and the next day got more during my one daily pumping session. I think I am going to have to eat more, now I just need to eat good while increasing!

Quote Originally Posted by Juliemama View Post
    First of all, I want to say "HEY!" to everyone...I have a hard time staying on the Paleo/Primal wagon while pregnant...lol.
    I had my little guy 2 weeks ago (3rd baby, but it's been 9 yrs since the last) so we are exclusively breastfeeding, too. I really hope the weight comes off, I have 10 lbs to get to pre preg, but I need to lose another 20 that I put on last year when I quit smoking. I was tinkering with my birth control to see if that was the reason I couldn't shake the weight, and hello, surprise baby.
    I think it is different for everyone, and I am wondering how age plays into it too, I am 39 this time around...It might not be as easy as it was 10 yrs ago...I had my girls in 02 and 03 and gained 50lbs with each, and lost it in a few months. I gained 35 with this one..sigh..we will just have to wait and see. I certainly didn't eat so well back then!
    I agree that it is more important to keep up supply and nutrition then to worry about the scale...easier said than done!
    Hey! Thanks for chiming in. Let us know how it goes for you. So strange how it is different with each babe. I am on my first, so I have not idea what might happen next time. I am early thirties, started out overweight, barely gained while pregnant, then started gaining like crazy while BFing! One of the reasons I loved being pregnant was I could literally eat anything I wanted, and not gain.

I definitely don't want to sacrifice my supply to weight loss but... isn't there a way I can have both? Please! At least it's winter so I don't have to be seen in shorts or a swim suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    Have you had your thyroid tested? Postpartum hypothyroid is, in my opinion, one of the most under-diagnosed condition for postpartum mom's in North America. If your levels are off it may make weight loss more difficult.
    Yes, this was one of my first thoughts too. I am hypothyroid but controlled with medication. I got tested again a month ago, and was very within normal range. (I was actually hoping that it was off, and that would be the solution!)

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Maybe how much was gained during pregnancy has something to do with it? I gained 25 lbs, all of it in the first 2 trimesters. I ate strictly primal in the 3rd trimester and didn't gain anything (baby kept growing though). All the extra weight was gone by 6 weeks postpartum. I was nursing dd exclusively, and ate very well. I'm still breastfeeding my 18 month old, eating as nutrient dense as possible, and satiating appetite.

I noticed I easily gain weight when I overeat, but cannot lose beyond a certain point, and still carry around what seems like very stubborn fat around my belly.
    Interesting idea, but it doesn't apply to me... I barely gained, lost it right away, then started gaining again while BFing. At least right now I am no longer gaining.

It's so true that we must eat as nutrient dense as possible. I think I remain much more satisfied when I'm not eating junk. Not that it matters -- even when I am eating to appetite, I think I am not eating enough to keep my supply up. Ahhhh, I guess I'll figure it all out eventually!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I gained very little during pregnancy, really, and then when nursing, it very slowly came off. DS was about a year old before i started to look normal (from the waist/belly down), and I held all of the weight in my chest, shoulders, arms, and upper back.

Apparently, this is a common adaptation for some breastfeeidng women.

DS was breastfed exclusively until natural weaning. he started eating solid foods around age 8 months, but with baby-lead weaning "before 1, it's just for fun!" which means that his primary nutrition came from me. When he it 14 months, that's when his nutrition went from being ME to being FOOD, and so while I was still producing, my body let go of that extra fat in 6 weeks with no changes on my part! It was a christmas miracle! I went from being a size 4 pants/12-14 shirt to being size 4 pants to size 6/8 shirt (i have broad shoulder bones, so that's partly why. And large breasts -- size medium, anyway).

So, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    I exclusively nursed both my daughters until they were both 15mths old. I never lost weight due to breastfeeding LOL! It works for some, but not for others
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

shinydragon is offline Junior Member
    I'm feeding my 25 month old. Started paleo this summer and have lost 40 lbs so far. Can't attest to pregnancy weight, being super-large mama we generally don't gain at all during pregnancy and was same as prepregnancy weight two weeks post artum. Was frustrated that bf wasn't helping me lose, but then I was living on oats crumpets and potatoes lol.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by "strict"? Please dont jeopardize your milk supply. You are going to do this once (for this one kid, I mean), and you dont want mess it up. There is no going back to it and fixing it later!

When I nursed my DD and then entire time, didnt lose anything. I lost weight once I was done with nursing. Everyone's body is different.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like lots of Mamas hang on to that weight...good for baby, bad for Mama's self esteem....

I think my strategy will be to concentrate on maximizing my nutrition, staying away from the "empty" calories I could get away with while pregnant, keeping up with fluids (I struggle with this) and working some exercise into this dreary winter.

The sorry state of my tummy has me more worried than my weight, honestly...

Quote Originally Posted by reallygravity View Post
    What do you mean by "strict"? Please dont jeopardize your milk supply. You are going to do this once (for this one kid, I mean), and you dont want mess it up. There is no going back to it and fixing it later!

When I nursed my DD and then entire time, didnt lose anything. I lost weight once I was done with nursing. Everyone's body is different.
    Oh, "strict" for me, well it's not that impressive! I am not doing VLC or anything. I'm talking about no sugar or grains, and minimal processed food. I do not restrict potatoes or fruit while pregnant or BFing.

I can't believe how many women have the same experience --- all you hear about is the other side of things. I feel so much better!

To me this is one more piece of evidence that CICO is not the whole picture. Your hormones play such a huge role in how much fat to hang onto or get rid of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast