Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less Sodium + More Fluids = More Urination? page

skolvikings is offline Junior Member

Less Sodium + More Fluids = More Urination?

I've been "partially" Paleo for a couple years. I've been gluten free, eating more meat and saturated fats, etc. However, I've also been cheating by eating way too many corn based salty snacks such as tortilla chips, microwave popcorn, also fast food too often, etc. Earlier this week, I had a health scare that woke me up to the fact that I need to do a better job with my diet and nutrition. The past two days, I haven't had any processed food, fast food, candy, chips, etc. I've also been trying to drink more water instead of coffee.

So today, I didn't realize at the time, but I drank 2 medium glasses of whole milk, 48 ounces of water (two 24 ounce water bottles), 1 large glass of diluted cranberry juice. By this afternoon, I had to pee REALLY bad and it was clear. I've had to pee at least a dozen times since. Every time has been clear urine and most of the time a good volume too.

Before the last couple days, I would typically eat A LOT MORE salty foods/snacks and drink A LOT LESS fluid. Normally, I would only have the equivalent of 2 glasses of whole milk, nurse a 16 ounce coffee all day at work (often not drinking the whole mug), and maybe the equivalent of a glass of water total from occasional sips and small glasses of water once or twice a day.

Is it possible that my sudden decrease in sodium and increase of fluids has caused today's excessive, frequent need to urinate all afternoon/evening? I really hope so, because this is freaking me out and I feel chained to the bathroom. Ugh! The first "urgent" trip to the bathroom was around 2:00 PM. It's now after 9:30 PM and only now can I finally tell it's starting to calm down, at least a little. Again, ugh!
    Last edited by skolvikings; 12-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    There's not really much to say, except for "yes."
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

What's the solution? Was it that I cut my sodium too much, or drank too much water? Do I reverse one, both? I can't have many more days like this. It's been horrible!

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    If you're thirsty, drink.

If you crave salt, eat salty foods.

Anything more complicated than that and you're over thinking it.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Why are you drinking so much water and cranberry juice? Cranberries are naturally sour, so you're probably drinking a ton if added sugar. There's no need to drink constantly unless you're thirst. Forcing yourself to drink more water is just going to result in peeing more. And yes you're peeing more because you're eating less sodium. Less sodium -> less water retention, so you're probably peeing so much because whatever you're drinking is going through you without further hydrating your body because your body is already hydrated.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Why are you drinking so much water and cranberry juice? Cranberries are naturally sour, so you're probably drinking a ton if added sugar. There's no need to drink constantly unless you're thirst. Forcing yourself to drink more water is just going to result in peeing more. And yes you're peeing more because you're eating less sodium. Less sodium -> less water retention, so you're probably peeing so much because whatever you're drinking is going through you without further hydrating your body because your body is already hydrated.
    Thank you for the advice and information.

I'm drinking more water because 1) I thought I was supposed to, and 2) I honestly didn't realize how much water I was drinking while I was at work yesterday, until I added it up at the end of the day while I was "suffering."

I added cranberry juice because I've had some minor symptoms of UTI this week. I had been to the doctor on Monday and my UA came back negative, but the doc prescribed cipro "just in case" and assured me it would clear it up in a couple days. When I saw the 5 warning stickers on the cipro bottle, and started reading the 3 page warning insert in the bag, I decided that I was not going to take it. Besides, on Tuesday my symptoms were starting to clear up on their own. On Wednesday afternoon, I started having some minor symptoms again, but it's hard to get in to the doc this week, so I found Chris Kresser's writeup on UTIs and looked everywhere in my small down for d-mannose but there is none. I ordered some on Amazon and was prepared to pay for Prime overnight shipping, but the soonest it could get here is this afternoon (Friday). So last night, in a panic, thinking maybe my frequent urination was caused by UTI symptoms, I drank a big glass of cranberry juice.

Yes, I know I'm overthinking things maybe, but it's being spurred on by the symptoms. I just need relief. I tried calling the clinic yesterday afternoon to see if I could get a safer antibiotic, but it was too late in the afternoon so no one could get back to me. Hopefully this morning. Also, the d-mannose shows up sometime this afternoon, so I can immediately start on that.

To summarize my symptoms after my last post, the volume of urine has decreased, but I still had the urge to go more than usual. I woke up around 2:30 AM and had to go. It was also clear. Then I woke up again at 6:00 AM and had to go. That time it finally had a bit of yellow to it. Not much, but there was some yellow. I went again before leaving for work, and that time also had a slight yellow tint. Not the normal yellow color I usually have, but at least there was some yellow there.

This morning I had about 1 cup of whole milk with my breakfast, and only one sip of water besides that. I was unusually NOT THIRSTY most of the night, which isn't normal for me since I tend to breathe through my mouth while I sleep and it's dry in the winter. So I pray that I really was just way overhydrated and my kidneys were busting their humps to shed that water yesterday afternoon, evening, and night. It seems odd to me that it should take so long to shed the water, but I didn't drink it all at once either, so I suppose it has to work it's way through the system. Plus the reduction in sodium and also cutting my carbs... all at the same time.

Okay, I hope I haven't been rambling. Thanks to both of you for the encouragement, info, and advice. Sometimes we just need to hear the simple truth to help calm down.

So a nurse from the clinic just called and gave me a really hard time about me not wanting to take the cipro. She kept saying every antibiotic would have a list of side effects in the package, and didn't really seem convinced that the cipro side-effects are anymore serious than anything else. (I mean, c'mon... I've never received a bottle of antibiotics that had 5 warning stickers on the bottle before cipro.)

Am I being dumb to insist that I don't want to take the cipro unless there's absolutely no other option?

The nurse had a "tone" to her voice when the call ended and she said she's have to talk to the doctor, to which I gave a sincere thank you, to which she responded with an "okay" with that tone... you know the one... "Ooo-kay" and hung up.

*sigh*

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    This will probably come out all wrong, but....

Your profile says you are 39. Is this really the first time you have ever drank a lot of fluid over a short time?

It's normal. Your bladder holds maybe 18oz. If you drink 60 ounces of fluid, you will fill your bladder about three times. If it takes 2 hours for the first drop of water to move from your stomach to your bladder, and it moves at a rate of 10oz/hr (both total guesses), that means you will first need to pee about 4 hours after drinking your 60 ounces, and you will need to pee again under 2 hours later, and again under 2 hours after that, just to get rid of that 60 ounces.

From my own experience, I would say that the max rate is probably closer to 20oz/hr. If I was to drink a gallon of iced tea first thing in the morning, I would start disposing of it about 3 hours later and would need to make a LOT of trips to the bathroom that day. Not that I've ever downed a full gallon in one sitting, but that's the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    This will probably come out all wrong, but....

Your profile says you are 39. Is this really the first time you have ever drank a lot of fluid over a short time?

It's normal. Your bladder holds maybe 18oz. If you drink 60 ounces of fluid, you will fill your bladder about three times. If it takes 2 hours for the first drop of water to move from your stomach to your bladder, and it moves at a rate of 10oz/hr (both total guesses), that means you will first need to pee about 4 hours after drinking your 60 ounces, and you will need to pee again under 2 hours later, and again under 2 hours after that, just to get rid of that 60 ounces.

From my own experience, I would say that the max rate is probably closer to 20oz/hr. If I was to drink a gallon of iced tea first thing in the morning, I would start disposing of it about 3 hours later and would need to make a LOT of trips to the bathroom that day. Not that I've ever downed a full gallon in one sitting, but that's the idea.
    Yes. Good points. Factor in my lower sodium intake yesterday, and my body was retaining less and so yeah, it was probably all going straight through.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You should also be aware of the dangers of hyponatremia, which is caused by drinking too much liquid and not enough salt, depleting the blood of sodium. It causes all kinds of symptoms and can kill you.

Drink less, eat more salt. Do not listen to people who tell you that your pee should be clear and you should drink X amount of water every day. Drink if you are thirsty and eat if you are hungry, and salt your food if it tastes good. There is no good reason to avoid salt or overdrink.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast