Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: belly flab?

Hybrid View

belly flab?

I carry weight around my belly. I always look a few months pregnant, lol. Some days it's because of bloat, but there's always a spare tire there. I suppose some of it is loose skin from pregnancy.. .but I've had flab there my whole life, even when I was thin. Is it possible to get rid of it, or just something to live with? I'm of normal weight for my height.

could the problem be the definition of 'normal' weight?
    It'll all be down to weight loss

I carry weight around my belly too. After almost a year of primal eating it wasn't shifting, but I've cut my carbs down and started heavy lifting and it seems to be working for me. I expect it will all take time though - it's been there a long time so not expecting it to disappear overnight!

I am 5'4", 110-115lbs, rather small-boned. Even when i weighed 10lbs less, i had this flab. Was skinny-fat though..

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    5'4" and 110-115lbs
    if belly isn't falling over belt,,,,,
    not sure i'ld be worried,
    but then I'm a guy

Quote Originally Posted by neilc11 View Post
    if belly isn't falling over belt,,,,,
    not sure i'ld be worried,
    but then I'm a guy
    Not as bad as belly falling over belt... but I can pass for a few months pregnant when I'm not, lol. My sisters are always asking me why my pregnant belly hasn't disappeared yet, my baby is 1.5 years old. Although I actually weigh less now than before I got pregnant.

I don't think loose skin is a real phenomenon. Here's an interesting article I first read many years ago. The Myth of Loose Skin. Is the author a crank? Maybe. But he makes some good points, i.e. there is always some body fat that is the nucleus of the "loose skin".

Martin @ Leangains has some good tips for losing stubborn fat. Intermittent Fasting and Stubborn Body Fat | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health. It's quite a long article but basically he suggest fasting to get the body into optimal fat burning mode, then plenty of activity (walking, light cardio, etc). I have also heard it suggested that sprints & heavy lifting are great for kickstarting the process of breaking down stored fat.

But there's also the question of: do you really need to get rid of it? Maybe it's natural for you, in which case why fight it?

Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    But there's also the question of: do you really need to get rid of it? Maybe it's natural for you, in which case why fight it?
    I guess I don't really need to get rid of it. In my younger and vainer years, it bothered me because some clothes don't flatter me. It's not such a big deal now, but sometimes I just wonder why this flab is so stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I guess I don't really need to get rid of it. In my younger and vainer years, it bothered me because some clothes don't flatter me. It's not such a big deal now, but sometimes I just wonder why this flab is so stubborn.
    I have a pretty flabby middle too. A few weeks ago I started wearing a 'shaper' tank top under my clothes most of the time. Its not magical, and I'm still the same size, but everything seems to fit better when I wear it. All the flab is contained and smoothed out. FIRMA
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I have a pretty flabby middle too. A few weeks ago I started wearing a 'shaper' tank top under my clothes most of the time. Its not magical, and I'm still the same size, but everything seems to fit better when I wear it. All the flab is contained and smoothed out. FIRMA
    Oh, interesting! Are these comfortable?