Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: belly flab? page 3

Jovana is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I used to have a very flat tummy but then got a brain tumour near my pituitary gland which stuffed up all my hormones. Although I'm lucky enough to be normal sized (unlike others that have gone through the same thing) my stomach is massive while my limbs are pretty thin.
    At one stage I was following the primal diet for many months without losing any weight (nothing usual for me.. I guess just being able to maintain my weight is an unbelievable accomplishment given my health issues) , all of a sudden, like pretty much over night I woke up with an almost flat belly! Definitely the happiest day of my life! Unfortunately this fell around easter so I stuffed up with overindulgence of chocolates and never got that close to a flat belly again (but I'm not giving up).
    That experience has convinced me that anyone can loose tummy fat with the primal diet- maybe you have to play around with your ratios or exercise etc but I'm sure it's possible for everyone, including me!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's mostly because of beauty image. That's what we fixate.

It's really interesting.

DH and I went and saw Temple of Doom on the big screen today (special feature). That movie came out in 1981. Harrison Ford had *wrinkles!* in particular a furrow between the brows. He was damn sexy. And then there was Karen Allen. She's thin and fit -- no doubt. But she looks like a normal human being with lines on her forehead (like me!) and smile lines, and overall looks like a woman who could drink a big guy under a table and has travelled the world and owned a rough bar in Nepal. DUH.

Not like actresses today who are smooth skinned and stick-thin with big heads. The pressure is completely different.

I mean, even look at Demi Moore. Look at her in Ghost, and then in pictures today. It's amazing the difference in the "beauty ideal."

DH and I found some vintage playboy magazines from the 60s and 70s. Seriously, these magazines are so good, you DO read them for the articles. And the women? normal looking girls. Hair might be colored, but it looks natural (and in most cases, probably was). Make up? Natural and minimal. Breasts? normal sized, hanging in odd directions (one often larger than the other). Sweet nipples in all sizes and colors. NORMAL LOOKING WOMEN.

I look at them and see myself. I'm like "hmm. interesting. That's what I look like"

And osme of them even had tummy fat. And thigh fat. And butt fat! Amazing! 20-25 yr old girls photographed in Playboy who have butt fat right there where you can see it. What is that about?

Oh, right. That's what women look like. And back then, they were appreciated.

It appears to me that even old Hef's preferences have changed. Or is it just the influence of his daughter taking over the company? Or time? Or photoshop?

Anyway. . . seriously, watch older movies and go get some old playboys. You'll start to feel *gorgeous*.

And, the stories (movies) are good and so are the articles (playboys).

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Oh, interesting! Are these comfortable?
    Extremely! I joke that its like wearing a hug all day long. And it adds a layer of warmth without any bulk.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    The only time I lost my belly fat was when I lived overseas and had to walk everywhere. I walked roughly 3-5 miles a day, up and down hill, and up and down a ridiculous amount of stairs. I also ate a lot of fresh food and almost no processed crap. Not primal, no, but a lot of "what, exactly, is this???" food, possibly from an animal that had been slaughtered a mere hour before.

Now, post-baby, I have a little lower-belly bulge. You know, the kind that starts below the belly button. I've learned not to wear empire waists, everyone thinks I'm pregnant if I wear one of those. A straight line or a cinched waist is better.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    People have fat phobia. Even normal looking flesh is considered fat!

Luckily, my husband hasn't been exposed much to western media, so he doesn't understand why women want to be so thin.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I'm like you. Even when I was skinny fat, I had a pooch (it ws smaller though). As far as I know, I've always had it. My mom tells me that I've had it since I was a baby. I think most babies have baby fat, but I guess I never lost it.

When I put on weight, it mostly goes to my belly, and when I lose weight, it usually comes off my belly too--up to a certain point. Past this point, the fat on my belly won't budge, and the rest of my body will start to get skinnier while my belly stays the same. Weird. It's like there's a certain amount of belly fat that my body defends.

Oh, but I dream of losing that belly fat, and I'm not giving up.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I'm at my lowest weight since before puberty, and I am still skinny fat. I'm pretty sure that I would improve if I could get up the gumption to exercise in the mornings again. But I'm an exercise-hater.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I'm not much of an exerciser per se, just take daily hour long walks, and some yoga. Running after my 1.5 yr old and doing chores seem to be enough for now. I guess I need to put in a lot more effort. But I know tons of people who have flat bellies without any exercise.

My toddler loves my belly flab. She's always pulling, grabbing, squishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Why are girls so fixated on their bodies??
    Honestly? Probably because of comments like this:

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyJ View Post
    Nothing more disgusting than a girl who's thin all over
    I mean we just can't freaking win, can we? If you're a naturally curvy woman who has a hard time dropping weight, society will tell you you're a fat slob and "disgusting." If you're a naturally thin woman who has a hard time building muscle, society will tell you're anorexic, skinny-fat and "disgusting."

Robby, you probably didn't mean it like that, and I apologize for snipping your post out of context. But the fact is that girls and women (and increasingly boys and men) are bombarded with this kind of language on a constant basis. And the message that all that white noise distills into is, "Your body doesn't suit my personal tastes, so you're disgusting." And that, my friends, is why girls, women, boys and men are so fixated on their bodies. No one wants to be "disgusting," but it sometimes seems that no matter how you transform yourself, you'll always be disgusting to someone.

Now, to quote Robby again:
    Bruce Willis' girlfriend in Pulp Fiction knows it
    Word! I don't wish I had a pot, per se, but I've seen some sexy ones. ;-) Those little side-rolls someone was talking about on his short-torso-ed girlfriend? SO cute! The fact is that no matter the shape of your belly, you will also always be sexy and cute to someone (at least if you're healthy, and probably even if you're not). So let's keep building each other up without tearing others down! It takes all kinds, y'all. Vive la différence!

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    its like wearing a hug
    It's also like being in a sausage casing. If it comes untucked or unstuck and starts to roll up, watch out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123