Thread: Thirsty all the time? page

Ann
    Ann is offline Junior Member

Thirsty all the time?

Primal Fuel
    Since going primal a week ago, I've been constantly thirsty. Before going primal I was rarely thirsty. As soon as I finish a glass of water I'm getting another. In my whole life that has never happened. Is something wrong wih my diet? I went primal to loose weight and have been eating my base metabolic rate in calories but limiting my carbs to under 100. Many days this past week I've been under 50 grams of carbs.

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    I've found the exact opposite, The more SAD I eat the more I drink. I dont drink all that much unless working out.
    Maybe high salt intake?
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Ann
    Ann is offline Junior Member
    The changes to my diet should mean I am eating less salt overall. I was just wondering if such low carb intake would be the cause?

irishfoxy is offline Member
    you may want to increase your salt intake - I find when I'm super thirsty plain water doesn't help, but broths and such do.
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

joelwlcx is online now Senior Member
    I'm not always thirsty, but when I am, I drink water.

Stay hydrated my friend.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    It might help if you posted what you've been eating.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Really, this isn't a cause for concern. If you're craving a ton of chocolate, it's a pain in the ass. If you're craving a glass of water, drink up and don't think too much about it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

diene is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If you google ketosis and thirst, you'll find that other people have similar experiences. I'm not sure what casues it (doesn't seem to happen to everyone), and, paradoxically, it does seem to get better if you consume more salt. I don't know if you're eating few enough carbs to be in ketosis, but this could be the cause. Ketosis can cause potassium deficiency because potassium leaves your body as a counterion to one of the negatively charged ketones. Consider taking a potassium supplement or just using a salt substitute (salt substitutes are made of potassium choloride). I personally use "light" salt, which is part sodium chloride, part potassium chloride. Also take a magnesium supplement. I've read that your body needs magnesium in order to absorb potassium properly.

I just finished a 4-day potato hack (you may have seen the potato threads in the forums), and I definitely noticed drinking a lot less water while doing the potato thing. Something about consuming a bunch of carbs that makes me not thirsty. Very strange, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.