Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is black pudding primal? page

Prime time is offline Junior Member

Is black pudding primal?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, is black pudding primal and/or healthy?

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    It's blood pudding right? As long as grain isn't one of the fillers you should be fine.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    In the UK I think it's mainly made with oatmeal. Damn tasty though

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    All black puddings as far as I know do contain a bit of oatmeal. But it's not a large amount when compared to the blood, fat, milk, and onion or other ingredients. It is usually a very small portion of the recipe and is used only to get the texture to set properly.
    Here is an example recipe...
    1 quart pig, lamb or goose blood
    16 oz milk
    salt and pepper
    1 lb. shredded suet shopping list
    2 large onions, minced
    1 oz oatmeal, toasted

That's 1oz of oats to a whole bunch of other stuff.
    When buying commercial Black Puddings just check the packages to make sure that the oats are a good ways down the list of ingredients, and that they haven't decided to add other crap into it like "gluten" or "wheat gluten" because that is cheaper or to bulk the product.
    Label reading is key.

Unless you have some other issue with grains, oatmeal in particular is not generally an offender as far as glutens, that you you are aware of... eat it!

I have autoimmune issues and do an almost completely grain free diet and I do eat them on occasion... just not often.

Hope that helps.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Wow....I might have to try to find this stuff. Looks interesting.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Might want to try head cheese, also. I wasn't fond of it, but it wasn't disgusting or anything.

I'm not sure I'd be able to eat black pudding, though. My jaws clamped together when I read the first ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Might want to try head cheese, also. I wasn't fond of it, but it wasn't disgusting or anything.

I'm not sure I'd be able to eat black pudding, though. My jaws clamped together when I read the first ingredient.
    It's much milder than you'd think it would be. Tasty.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    LOL. I'm sitting here like a six year old Joanie, going, "Nope, not gonna..."

Donna* is offline Junior Member
    I love black pudding, I live close to Bury market and there is a stall there that is famous for its black pudding. I only like it grilled and not fried, and I only like if it is sliced. I haven't had it for the last six months because I was worried about what else was in the recipe (so thank you Cori). I will be having this again soon! Its grand with a full English on a Sunday morning, and wonderful as a snack with a little mustard and side salad!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna* View Post
    I love black pudding, I live close to Bury market and there is a stall there that is famous for its black pudding. I only like it grilled and not fried, and I only like if it is sliced. I haven't had it for the last six months because I was worried about what else was in the recipe (so thank you Cori). I will be having this again soon! Its grand with a full English on a Sunday morning, and wonderful as a snack with a little mustard and side salad!
    I think you still need to be careful with commercial brands... read the ingredient lists and whatnot.
    Cheaper brands will be using more oats to other ingredient ratios and adding other fillers. Not so good.

Find a good brand that is gluten free and lighter on the oats and has a higher blood/fat ratio and enjoy it.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast