Thread: Still not feeling right page

polly is offline Junior Member

Still not feeling right

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping I can find a bit of support here and maybe someone can shed some insight.

I was primal/paleo until recently, and had been doing the diet throughout my pregnancy. I gave birth in June this year. My daughter breastfeeds, and is sensitive to eggs, nuts and all dairy.

I cut these out, which left me with veggies and meat.

For several months now, I have been experiencing "wetness" in my ears, clicking sounds and post nasal drip. I also have horrible gas after eating pretty much anything. I did some research and thought I possibly had candida. I started to follow a diet with no sugar at all, got a lot of "die-off" and my ears and gas did get a little better, but as a breastfeeding mother, I just couldn't sustain the diet. I think I benefited from it, but it was just too hard. I tried switching to the SCD diet, which was even harder, in a way, trying to find out which foods made my ears feel worse. I have concluded that FODMAPS seem to make it worse, but it's still not very clear to me because I just have gas after eating everything.

This week I have been desperate, and have just been eating oatmeal. My milk has come back with a vengeance (my supply was low). Gas is just the same as it was before, seems I have it no matter what, so I sort of just think well why am I even bothering doing paleo? I was seriously craving calories, and my husband (who was also doing paleo) had dropped to 130lbs (he's 6ft). We were both starving all the time, and I was always feeling crappy with digestion issues and ear trouble. Since starting with (soaked) oatmeal, I have got less energy and my old knee ache is coming back.

I just don't know what to do. I need to feel full or I get cranky and everyone suffers, and my husband has to gain weight. I also have to find a way to sort out my digestion. It feels like I have messed it up by changing my diet so much. I just really want some advice about how to proceed for us to both feel well again. Bear in mind that I can't eat any of the normally ok primal stuff like eggs, full fat dairy, nuts... It's hard to get enough calories without being bored to death and thus failing because the diet is so boring.

Edit- I wondered, also, if my digestion has been affected by the fact that I had my appendix removed aged 15. I read that the appendix is a source of probiotics. I also took accutane as a teenager, and have had many many courses of antibiotics. SIBO?)
    Last edited by polly; 12-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    It doesn't really sound like you were primal/paleo, to be honest. You don't mention fruit or fat anywhere. As a breast feeding mother, and even as a pregnant woman, you'd likely need a higher carb source than most people.

If you were starving all the time, my guess is you weren't eating enough fat or carbs for your needs.

Maybe this is just an issue of omission. I'm not sure why you feel the diet is "boring". What does an average day or couple of days of meals look like for you?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

polly is offline Junior Member
    We'd eat a pack of bacon for breakfast, my husband has eggs and I might have sausage and some sauerkraut. We'd sometimes start with a smoothie at 5am (daughter's wake up time) with yogurt or kefir, berries and banana and coconut oil. Lunch would probably be some meat slow cooked, eaten during the afternoon, and dinner was usually chicken and veggies or beef and veggies. Husband would snack on jerky sometimes but was often still hungry anyway.

I don't think that the diet is boring, I am just fed up with living up to enormously high standards and not feeling good, despite the effort. The thing is, even sweet potato would make me feel crappy (bloating, gas and ear trouble), so I was avoiding carbs almost completely. Fruit has also been problematic.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Would it be possible for you to see a doctor (perhaps one with a more holistic approach) to discuss the possibility of SIBO or some other bacteria-related gut disorder?

I've seen some improvement in my digestive issues (constipation) with the inclusion of natural anti-fungal supplements, such as oil of oregano and pau d'arco, but I'm still waiting to see if it's actually fixing anything or just making it a bit less bad.

Do you take any probiotics?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Oh, gods, that sounds bad.

I know you are probably sick to death from experimenting, but try getting glutenous rice, and eating that with the 'slime' to calm your stomach down, and avoid fat for a bit. Small quantities and often. Another non-glutenous grain that you can try is millet.

Bone broth, boiled chicken, do you react positively to these?

Are you using goat milk kefir? You say you are allergic to dairy, but you drink fermented dairy, so it may be worthwhile to find another probiotic and take the dairy out for a few weeks to see if the upheaval in your body calms down.

I come from Eastern Europe, and I can tell you that sauerkraut is more famous there for causing gas than beans.

Please, take care of yourself, and eat what nourishes you and gives you comfort.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    My body was completely disheveled following my two pregnancies...I can relate! I had chronic infections to boot and tried all of the methods you have---low carb to kill the candida---even eating squash would results in the crawling feeling for me. Definitely experiment with some high quality probiotics. I dont have my appendix either! I take both Threelac and Kyodophilus and they work well! ...but pricey.

Also, stick with regular baked potatoes if the GF grains are bothering you...you do need the carbs or your milk supply might go in the gutter for good.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/