Thread: Spare Ribs Empty Calories? page

bandmeeting is offline Junior Member

Spare Ribs Empty Calories?

Shop Now
    There is an extremely popular pro bike racer named Jens Voight--so popular that he has a monthly column in Bicycling Magazine--in which he stated that spare ribs are empty calories. The column was about what he does in the off season, what his life is like without the constraints of hard training and racing. He says that two of his faves are the empty calorie foods milkshakes and spare ribs. I'll agree on the milkshake but spare ribs?

How would you respond to Jens (and Bicycling for publishing such bunk)?

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    attack!

ha ha i love Jens. I don't think I would want to argue with him. Besides - if you are looking for diet advice in VeloNews or Bicycling mag, you're gonna be disappointed.

bandmeeting is offline Junior Member
    There is a difference between referencing a bike magazine for the purposes of nutritional information and reading a nutritional reference from a HUGELY respected cyclist whom the unwitting might see as something of an expert on the subject due to the fact that they are trained and instructed by professional nutritionists--in Voight's case for a couple of decades.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandmeeting View Post
    There is a difference between referencing a bike magazine for the purposes of nutritional information and reading a nutritional reference from a HUGELY respected cyclist whom the unwitting might see as something of an expert on the subject due to the fact that they are trained and instructed by professional nutritionists--in Voight's case for a couple of decades.
    Yeah, so like you say he's been instructed.....doesn't mean he has put in the time to research or even comprehend the why of what he's been instructed to do. They tell him not to eat spare ribs and drink milkshakes during training, but he really likes those things and thats what he goes for when he gets a chance. It's all good. Just take his stance on nutrition with several grains of salt.

If you wanna enter a debate with him then you can point out the fatty acid profile of pork has much in common with the positive attributes of olive oil, and that protein is a necessary nutrient unlike carbohydrate that we MUST consume to maintain health. And just look at all those vitamins and minerals! Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Pork, fresh, spareribs, separable lean and fat, cooked, braised

In addition, any slow cooked bone in meat will also give you much of the same constituents that make bone broth so healthy! http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout....acts-benefits/
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-06-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Not to mention, most rib sauces are tomato-based sauces with plenty of added sugar.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I think that the sugar laden HFCS BBQ sauce is more of the issue with spareribs.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's the spare ribs themselves, but the sugar-laden BBQ sauce that it comes smothered in.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."