Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously... How Much Protein Is Enough If You Want to Build Muscle? page

rimam1 is offline Member

Seriously... How Much Protein Is Enough If You Want to Build Muscle?

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

I've recently started a workout plan, and have given up a lot of processed foods and am eating lots of protein. I've been eating a lot of:

-sprouted bread
    -edamade
    -greek yogurt
    -almond butter
    -tuna

I always read that you should have 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. But then I heard from a dietitian that you need 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight. She then said that eating too much protein can cause kidney problems.

So what's the best option here? I like my workout (HIIT with strength training) and feel fuller with eating more protein, but now I'm worried about damaging my kidneys.

Thanks in advance

Raza
    Here's my journey to getting ripped using intermittent fasting and strength training check it out here...

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    In a caloric surplus you don't need as much as if your caloric restricted. When restricting calories lean mass is better maintained eating 1.5g/kg of total weight or .7-1g/lb of lean mass. In a caloric surplus people have put on muscle with as little as 1g/kg, but I prefer higher myself just because I eat a lot of meat and eggs. There is no evidence of excess protein damaging kidneys in an otherwise healthy individual....so my advice would be to eat as much of it as you like.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Agree with Neckhammer. Also, lose the bread and the soybeans. That ain't food.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    came here to say what neckhammer and richmahogany said. but they done already said it.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    What everyone said.
    Re. protein amounts. Some people (Robb Wolf) say 1g. per lb. of body mass. Others recommend 1g. per lb of lean body mass. Ultimately you might want to play around with that and figure what works for you.

Ah, and that talk about too much protein causing kidney problems is simply not true, even more so if a person has healthy functioning kidney(s).

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post
    She then said that eating too much protein can cause kidney problems.
    Your dietician does not understand logic. I would run from her faster than if you were being chased by a pack of wolves.

Decades ago, a study came out that showed IF YOU HAD ALREADY DAMAGED KIDNEYS, you cannot eat a high protein diet because protein is processed in the kidneys. Marketing whores perverted that into "Protein damages kidneys" and unintelligent doctors and dieticians perpetuated the myth.

Mark Sisson wrote about it a long time ago in minor detail.

One of the most common critiques links higher protein diets to impaired kidney function. Recent research suggests, however, that people without prior or developing kidney or liver impairment do not experience any kidney or liver issues with a higher protein intake (1.3 g/kg/day). People most at risk for this kind of kidney stress include those who have a personal or family history of kidney or liver problems or those who have high blood pressure or diabetes. (Because developing kidney and liver problems don’t always have obvious symptoms, it’s important for your doctor to know your protein intake exceeds conventional recommendations.) People with liver or kidney problems, doctors warn, are less able to process and excrete the waste products (mostly nitrogen left over from amino acid breakdown) that are produced when the body metabolizes protein.

I would repeat here that it’s important that you feed your body the “cleanest” protein you can. Animal products, meat and fish in particular, are the most protein-rich options, and they contain vital omega-3s. However, they also can carry the heaviest “toxic” burden of our modern food supply. These toxins are powerful and plentiful enough over time to put a strain on anyone’s body – including liver and kidneys. Choose organic, grass-fed meat and poultry whenever possible, and go for wild instead of farmed fish.

Read more: Dear Mark: Pondering Protein | Mark's Daily Apple
    He goes into heavy detail here:

If we want to exonerate or condemn protein, we must study its effects on healthy kidneys. We have to see if it creates problems rather than potentially worsens them. And, according to the exhaustive analysis of Martin et al, there exists no evidence that protein intake negatively influences renal health in otherwise healthy, active individuals. There is some evidence that already impaired renal function might worsen with increased protein, but the experts, as is their wont, can’t resist applying the same recommendations to everyone, regardless of renal health. The result is a nutrition teacher sowing misinformation across the student body in an introductory course, i.e. one that is intended to establish foundational knowledge that the students will carry on through life as a cornerstone of their thinking.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prote...#ixzz2EIL6WcQE

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-06-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

rimam1 is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been reading a lot more about Paleo lately and it just makes sense. There's been years of social programming that I'm starting to reassess.

RichMahogony's statement about bread and soybeans not being food is really interesting. I was looking at the protein, fiber, and sugar content of both and thought that they were "safe" to eat. But again, this forum is starting to challenge my past assumptions about food and nutrition.

At the end of the day, ChacoTacos signature really resonates with me. I'll keep researching and reading.
    Here's my journey to getting ripped using intermittent fasting and strength training check it out here...

rimam1 is offline Member
    I just read this article that helps clear up my questions about edamame and sprouted bread. Not the worst, but definitely not primal:

Is Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Bread Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I still think we're missing the mark on kidneys and protein. Kidneys remove the excess uric acid from the blood stream after a meal is digested. Creating excess uric acid just means you need to piss more that day to break even. But if your nephrons are damaged, you cannot filter properly and end up dumping electrolytes as well as being less able to remove all that uric acid. But all that excess uric acid shouldn't make the kidney disease worse, it's just sitting there because the kidney already is broken. So people with kidney disease should avoid excess protein because of the danger of too much uric acid. That's my understanding, at least.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    I try to keep my protein to 70 grams or less per day to spare my kidney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast