Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously... How Much Protein Is Enough If You Want to Build Muscle? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post
    -sprouted bread
    -edamade
    -greek yogurt
    -almond butter
    -tuna
    There's only one thing on this list I'd consider having much protein. I bolded it for you. The rest has a little to less than none. Edamame is probably better for growing breasts than muscles. That's the one that has less than none.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Dumb list! I'd probably cap protein at around 3 pounds of real meat - just because it displaces other foods at that point!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone actually increased protein consumption and noticed better gains in the gym? I tend to think the protein recommendations are higher than they need to be. I moved from 70g-100g to 150g+ a day and noticed no difference .. actually felt more sluggish. If you are so concerned it is best to try different amounts over a few months and see how you look and feel. For me increasing protein was not beneficial but for others it may. Some people might find increasing carbs over protein will give them a better workout and therefor increase their fitness or muscle gains over more protein. There are plenty of ripped guys taking in no more than 100g a day. I do not believe you need to be a big time animal eater to be in good shape and have great health.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    Has anyone actually increased protein consumption and noticed better gains in the gym? I tend to think the protein recommendations are higher than they need to be. I moved from 70g-100g to 150g+ a day and noticed no difference .. actually felt more sluggish. If you are so concerned it is best to try different amounts over a few months and see how you look and feel. For me increasing protein was not beneficial but for others it may. Some people might find increasing carbs over protein will give them a better workout and therefor increase their fitness or muscle gains over more protein. There are plenty of ripped guys taking in no more than 100g a day. I do not believe you need to be a big time animal eater to be in good shape and have great health.
    I've noticed feeling stronger, having an easier time increasing my weights in the gym, after eating more protein. I don't know if it's the protein or just eating more food in general. I chose to eat more protein foods because it seemed easier to just eat the same foods but purchase bigger cans of canned chicken and fish and thus eat a larger portion. I found this to be a challenge, though. There's only so much meat you can eat before you can't eat anything more.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    Has anyone actually increased protein consumption and noticed better gains in the gym? I tend to think the protein recommendations are higher than they need to be.
    totally agree. there is a dead animal in just about every meal i eat. i worry not about the grams of protein. i'm also not a high level strength athlete or bodybuilder, just a dude.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    totally agree. there is a dead animal in just about every meal i eat.....
    Right on...thats how I look at it too.

Koobs is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There is no such thing as too much protein. Eat as much as you can if you want to build muscle. I gain the quickest when I am eating 150g+ a day. And since I am trying to gain weight (currently 175lbs) I should probably be taking in more like 200g a day. Just make sure to drink lots of water when you up the protein intake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12