Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes advice has me all spun out page 2

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Complex carbs : T2Diabetics :: Spacing out your drinks : alcoholic.
    That's really excellent. Nice...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    The ADA has in the past acknolwedged that a low carb diet would be best for those with Diabetes
    Link?

*Edit* Never mind, I googled it.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 12-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I work in the hospital. The educational pamphlet is just as bad, same ADA info.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry. I hope I didnít offend anyone. I admit Iím not an expert. I donít know what itís like to have this awful disease. It just makes me mad because this organization is supposed to be helping sick people. Rant over.
    And it is an awful disease. I hate that people perceive it is "no big deal" since you can take insulin etc. It catches up with you over time, and is killing my dad in a miserable, awful fashion. It complicates everything as you age/fall ill.

First, I don't agree its that hard to follow but mainly I think losing a foot or leg would be hard, losing my eyesight would be hard, kidney, stroke and heart issues would be hard....eating low carb is really easy compared to those things.
    Yeah- all that shit sucks. But you know, they just show Paula all fat and happy and eating carbs and taking her meds....

I swear- if it comes down to it, I'd rather have a heart attack from eating "too much fat" versus die a long, lingering diabetic death.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=magnolia1973;1026024I swear- if it comes down to it, I'd rather have a heart attack from eating "too much fat" versus die a long, lingering diabetic death.[/QUOTE]

That is the choice I made. I am doing what I can to control blood sugar without meds. Just finished a short experiment with higher protein - 90 to 100 g/d spilt among my 3 meals. My 1 hour postprandial spikes were higher but the real problem was the unpredictable spikes coming 6-8 hours postprandial due to gluconeogenesis. Fasting BG numbers also started creeping up from the mid 90's to the low 100's. I have gone back to 60g/d protein while continuing VLC. Have to get kcals from fat and if that increases my risk of a heart attack, so be it.

Shalimar is offline Member
    Bastiches! My mom and Dad died of T2 20 years ago before all the primal info was more accessible. Miserable deaths! The last twenty years of their lives were hardly worth living. Mom struggled to stick to that awful diet. Even so, she got worse. And every visit to the doctor was fraught with anxiety; will he yell at me for going off the diet? Is this the visit he tells me I have to start injecting? Blindness, kidney failure, dialysis. Makes me angry and sad.

Applause and blessings to those here managing their diabetes! You are inspiring.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    The ADA has in the past acknolwedged that a low carb diet would be best for those with Diabetes but they conclude that it's too hard to follow so we need to give people something that's easier for them to accept. First, I don't agree its that hard to follow but mainly I think losing a foot or leg would be hard, losing my eyesight would be hard, kidney, stroke and heart issues would be hard....eating low carb is really easy compared to those things.
    I think you're overestimating people, I've seen people who've lost multiple limbs and are on dialysis and they STILL won't change their lifestyle, whether it's smoking, boozing, or eating crap.

I remember back in 1st year medical school I met a fellow who had had 7 heart attacks, his first one when he was 30. He was found to have a genetic defect, which was also passed on to his son. I forget what it was, it might have been familial hypertriglyceridemia or something like that. Anyway, he was still smoking and eating fast food. We talked about his son, who had the exact same mutation; his son was in his 40s and had not yet had a single heart attack, but according to the old man, he was "one of those healthy-eating non-smoking always-exercising types." I asked him if he thought that his son's lifestyle might have been the reason that his crappy genetics had not yet resulted in a heart attack, and he said "I suppose that's possible." I asked him why he doesn't try adopting some of his son's healthy behaviours and I kid you not, he said "Why bother? I have you guys here with all your fancy surgeries and drugs, look at me, 7 heart attacks, and still kicking around, why would I do anything different?"

Natural selection, indeed....

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I think you're overestimating people, I've seen people who've lost multiple limbs and are on dialysis and they STILL won't change their lifestyle, whether it's smoking, boozing, or eating crap.

I remember back in 1st year medical school I met a fellow who had had 7 heart attacks, his first one when he was 30. He was found to have a genetic defect, which was also passed on to his son. I forget what it was, it might have been familial hypertriglyceridemia or something like that. Anyway, he was still smoking and eating fast food. We talked about his son, who had the exact same mutation; his son was in his 40s and had not yet had a single heart attack, but according to the old man, he was "one of those healthy-eating non-smoking always-exercising types." I asked him if he thought that his son's lifestyle might have been the reason that his crappy genetics had not yet resulted in a heart attack, and he said "I suppose that's possible." I asked him why he doesn't try adopting some of his son's healthy behaviours and I kid you not, he said "Why bother? I have you guys here with all your fancy surgeries and drugs, look at me, 7 heart attacks, and still kicking around, why would I do anything different?"

Natural selection, indeed....
    Fair point and you are certainly correct that not all will do the right things. We are all complex beings and its not a simple thing. What I meant was if they agree its the best approach and they are granted the position of being the guiding authority to the medical profession on Diabetes they should be advocating that approach front and center and then have some alternate approaches.

My main issue with the ADA is what they say your targets should be. If people had better education at that start point then it would help to target treatment and diet.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    This topic makes me mad too. I have an older brother and sister, around 60 yrs old, both with diabetes. They see their doctors regularly and according to them they are managing their illness. I look at them and think how can they believe that? Especially my sister, she is so over weight. It makes me sad because I think their lives are going to get even more painful and difficult. I introduced them to paleo and they occasionally try to do low carb but they always go back to eating wheat. My brother tells me about how they had this or that baked good, and he knew they shouldn't, but it was sooooooo tasty. Makes me crazy, I want to ask him if he thinks it's okay for an alcoholic drink a really great tasting bottle of wine. Their doctor's should be telling them that those foods are poison to them.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    I just spent some time reading the American Diabetes Association website (American Diabetes Association Home Page - American Diabetes Association) and now Iím all spun out.

Got diabetes? Eat some whole wheat bread. Drink diet soda. And donít you dare eat chicken skin. Seriously how do these people sleep at night?
    Can I ask a naive question to the forum members?

Isn't the formula basically: eat a bunch of sugar --> spike insulin --> increase triglycerides --> repeat for years --> get diabetes, obesity, Alzheimerís.

I mean isn't that basically it or did I miss something? If that is basically it, then I have a second question:

What the hell is wrong with these idiots?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast