Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What veggies add little taste to soup/stew/chili page

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member

What veggies add little taste to soup/stew/chili

Shop Now
    So my gag reflex goes ape on most veggies... (I can manage corn and potatoes and per the supreme court the vegetable tomatoes)... well bye bye corn and potatoes. I've always been able to do carrots in stew once they get the consistency of a potato in the stew... so what else could I add that would impart little flavor but have that same sort of texture?

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Is it the chunks of veggies that irritate the gag reflex? Perhaps you might try shredding the veggies so that it is the same consistency of ground beef. Carrots, zucchini, onions, turnips, parsnips, celery would be good places to start.

I once used kale, carrot, celery to make a juice in the juicer, then used the pulp from the veggies in a tomato sauce.

irishfoxy is offline Member
    the last time I used squash, it completely disintegrated and thickened the sauce - no chunks. Also, turnip is supposed to end up with the same texture as potatoes.
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Is it the chunks of veggies that irritate the gag reflex? Perhaps you might try shredding the veggies so that it is the same consistency of ground beef. Carrots, zucchini, onions, turnips, parsnips, celery would be good places to start.
    +1

i'll add garlic, mushrooms, squashes, and, for chili, tomatillos.

these are all good if you want to add some flavor and texture/volume to your soups. if it's just flavor you're looking for though, go for fats, wines and spices.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Squash is great. Also, I have found that turnips are great in stew - they are dead ringers for potatoes.
    In chili, I've always liked to put shredded carrots. They vanish, but their goodness is in there.

Don't discount herbs, too. Parsley, cilantro (if you like it), chives - these are all "vegetables" in their best form, green leafies. Pick up some fresh, and chop finely and throw in towards the end of cooking time.

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    I agree with the above posters regarding turnips and would add parsnips, which attain basically the same consistency as carrots.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure why you're saying bye to potatoes, but okay.

For soups, one thing you can do if you want to obliterate the texture of veggies is to run the soup through a food processor. It's sort of like a creamy soup, and for more cream, add butter, cream, or whatever fat you like best. (Duck fat rocks my world.)

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Blended soups!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm not sure why you're saying bye to potatoes, but okay.

For soups, one thing you can do if you want to obliterate the texture of veggies is to run the soup through a food processor. It's sort of like a creamy soup, and for more cream, add butter, cream, or whatever fat you like best. (Duck fat rocks my world.)
    Because having some potatoes to me is sitting down with 2-3 large sized potatoes heh which is probably a few hundred carbs.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    When I make paleo chili, in addition to the obvious tomato sauce I put in bell peppers and sweet potatoes. Some times cauliflower too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast