Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What veggies add little taste to soup/stew/chili page 2

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've tried cauliflower, okra, and eggplants in beef stew. By the time the stew is done, the veggies have all disintegrated. My husband can't tell what veggies are in except carrots (still in chunks) and tomatoes.

sunsis is offline Member
    my go to stew ingredients:

onion, celery, carrot (hello stock-base!), can of diced tomatoes, garlic, bayleaf. Depending on if im making something hungarian, french,italian, moroccan or whichever is how i go spice wise or if i choose to add wine (only really for the italian and french stews) afterwards.

it also depends on which place as to which vege i will add, obviously

like mushrooms, parsnips, sweet potatoes, kale/spinach, even fruits like apples and apricots.
    Last edited by sunsis; 12-10-2012 at 03:11 AM.

KT79 is offline Member
    Rutabega and turnips have a similar texture/flavor to potato when put in a stew or soup, and parsnips would be a good sub for carrots -sweet potatoes would work, too, especially in chili or something like that. Zucchini and summer squash are easy to hide in things. Have you tried pureed soups? Might work well for you if the texture is the problem - you can get an immersion blender for about $20.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
    Rutabega and turnips have a similar texture/flavor to potato when put in a stew or soup, and parsnips would be a good sub for carrots -sweet potatoes would work, too, especially in chili or something like that. Zucchini and summer squash are easy to hide in things. Have you tried pureed soups? Might work well for you if the texture is the problem - you can get an immersion blender for about $20.
    I'm really picky. I made a pot of stew Saturday from things I know I like... Potatoes, beef, carrots (all of these things are in denty moore which I love) added jalapenos (I eat them raw so I figured the texture would be fine, and it was) but aha instead of using beef broth/stock I used tomatoes and I managed a few spoon fulls before I had to pick the potatoes/beef/carrots out and dump the rest over the fence. I just have to keep trying things every payday until I find combinations I can do. Something about a stew from a tomato base just didn't sit well with me (despite the fact I make salsa from tomatoes, marinara sauce from tomatoes etc and love them).
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    I got some very wise advice from here a while back when I was complaining about not liking veggies. I took it to heart and started getting over my own veggie issues: "Suck it up. Not everything is supposed to be a party for your mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    I got some very wise advice from here a while back when I was complaining about not liking veggies. I took it to heart and started getting over my own veggie issues: "Suck it up. Not everything is supposed to be a party for your mouth."
    It's not a suck it up kinda thing. Most vegetables, within a couple of chews, violently trigger my gag reflex and/or cause super mucus production that leaves me completely congested. If I eat about 1/4 of an apple, I'm breathing out of my mouth for an hour.

irishfoxy is offline Member
    It's not a suck it up kinda thing. Most vegetables, within a couple of chews, violently trigger my gag reflex and/or cause super mucus production that leaves me completely congested. If I eat about 1/4 of an apple, I'm breathing out of my mouth for an hour.
    Hey, have you ever been tested for allergies? I have a coworker who has issues with a bunch of fruit because of an allergy to one of the compounds in them (apples, cherries, grapes, peaches....)

If it's not an allergy issue, I remember seeing a thread around here somewhere about a mom looking for different ways of cooking veggies for her daughter, who had a genuine disorder that made her unable to eat foods prepared certain ways - it has to do with textures and tastes. You don't "have" to put veggies in the stew - make it about the meat, and roast a veggie on the side? (the consensus for the mom was roasting tended to have the best results, with a bit of butter or something on top...)
    ____
    Here is the link to the other discussion - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64995.html
    Last edited by irishfoxy; 12-10-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: add link
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Have you seen anyone about the gag reflex? Doctor, Occupational Therapist? Or some other therapist that works with these issues?

I do gag on cooked red and green peppers, so I do understand, but it is the texture mostly for me. Is it texture for you? The cooked factor? (My grandma cooked everything to mush - my mom had stuff slightly crunchy - much better.) Taste? If taste, sauces may help. If you can give us a better idea of what causes it, we may be able to help out a bit more.

I have known some kids who had gag issues with eating and it drove the parents nuts. You have my sympathy as it has to be worse when you are an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by irishfoxy View Post
    Hey, have you ever been tested for allergies? I have a coworker who has issues with a bunch of fruit because of an allergy to one of the compounds in them (apples, cherries, grapes, peaches....)

If it's not an allergy issue, I remember seeing a thread around here somewhere about a mom looking for different ways of cooking veggies for her daughter, who had a genuine disorder that made her unable to eat foods prepared certain ways - it has to do with textures and tastes. You don't "have" to put veggies in the stew - make it about the meat, and roast a veggie on the side? (the consensus for the mom was roasting tended to have the best results, with a bit of butter or something on top...)
    ____
    Here is the link to the other discussion - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64995.html
    I'll have to read that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    Have you seen anyone about the gag reflex? Doctor, Occupational Therapist? Or some other therapist that works with these issues?

I do gag on cooked red and green peppers, so I do understand, but it is the texture mostly for me. Is it texture for you? The cooked factor? (My grandma cooked everything to mush - my mom had stuff slightly crunchy - much better.) Taste? If taste, sauces may help. If you can give us a better idea of what causes it, we may be able to help out a bit more.

I have known some kids who had gag issues with eating and it drove the parents nuts. You have my sympathy as it has to be worse when you are an adult.
    It's not really the taste, I don't think. It's mostly the texture. I can chew raw carrots all day long, when I go to swallow them I immediately start gagging. If they are in a stew or boiled I can swallow them all day long. Peppers I can eat raw or cooked. Potatoes I can eat raw or cooked (yeah I said raw heh). Tomatoes I can do raw but it's much easier if they have been softened up from cooking. Onions I can do until they get real limp from sauteing, even if I can't see them in something I know when that slug-like mass is in my mouth.

sunsis is offline Member
    Yeah you could have some kind of sensory disorder there, if the textures are bothering you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12