Thread: Cook your goose page

SarahW is offline Senior Member

Cook your goose

Primal Fuel
    Why would people roast a chicken, when you could roast a goose?

Why would people roast a turkey, when you could roast a goose?

Nearly all the meat is dark, and covered in a thick layer of fat under the skin, making it all super moist. No more super-secret brining tricks trying to impart flavor to sand.

No, seriously, I cooked goose the other night, and I'm in love. So is my husband, who thinks chicken and turkey are some of the most awful kinds of meat on the planet.

Stuffed some celery inside the bird, threw the giblets and neck off the side, cooked for a few hours inside my crock-pot insert (in the oven), ate dinner, put the crock-pot in the crock pot, covered with water, done.

Though when I picked through the carcass last night I found the neck, two hearts, and a kidney. I'm pretty sure that my goose did not come from Gallifrey, so that's a bit of a puzzle.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I love goose, but it's damn expensive and hard to find.

This is the 2nd winter that I planned to start hunting geese, but when I think about the amount of time it'll take to prepare for the hunting license exam and then to actually hunt/gut/pluck the geese, I kind of give up on that whole idea.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    because the dead geese here around over 35$
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah... most of the time it's a matter of money.

The side bonus to roasting the geese however... you should get a good deal of BEAUTIFUL rendered fat you get to keep as well.
    I do at least a couple a year when I can get them on sale.

I also do Muscovy duck (actually little tropical geeses, but that's a different story) from locally kinda regular throughout the year.
    If only I lived in Miami... there you could eat Muscovy for free everyday and no one would ever even notice a dent in the population! They breed like fleas on a dog in those canals...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    because the dead geese here around over 35$
    Cool! Around HERE the only dead geese I see is >$80 I would love to try it, but that is almost half my food budget for 2 weeks!

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Srsly? Oh geez, my goose was less per lb than chicken. I don't feel like digging the wrapper out of the trash, but it was less than $4/lb. Whole thing costed $12-something.

Guess that explains why I never cooked it before...

I found it in a random frozen section of my Publix. It pays to live in a very ethnically diverse high-income-level city in the south, I guess. There's all sorts of interesting offal in the frozen section. Cheap too, but who knows where they source it from, so I usually give it a pass.

I also do Muscovy duck (actually little tropical geeses, but that's a different story) from locally kinda regular throughout the year.
    If only I lived in Miami... there you could eat Muscovy for free everyday and no one would ever even notice a dent in the population! They breed like fleas on a dog in those canals...
    Oh yes, we have those here in WPB too. The Canadian Geese of the south, but more friendly (not that it's hard to be more friendly than one of those demon-birds). I've started looking at them with food-lust. In more crazy-cavegirl moments I've also considered the nutritional qualities of the Cuban brown lizards. I would really like to put a dent in that population. I tried to convince my husband that we should put some chickens in our backporch birdcage, just so I could try to feed them the lizards. But that idea got sadly nixed.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ohhh... the Publix goose sales have started!

Off to rummage tomorrow!!!

Some times of year they remain higher priced... but on occasion they become almost ridiculously low (as you found) here.
    Yes, the ethnic diversity here is a boon in the meat department.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if ethnic grocers in Indianapolis might sell goose for a reasonable price? Another reason to check out ethnic grocers - I keep meaning to do so.

Whole Foods sell duck for a far more reasonable price, so I am taking one home when I head south for the holidays. At least I can make certain the meat we have for the family Christmas meal is something I've no problems eating - though I've not made a full duck before. First time for everything! I had intended to take a goose, but that won't be happening I am afraid.