Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So sick of living inside the machine. Where to go? page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

So sick of living inside the machine. Where to go?

Primal Fuel
    If we left, where could we go? What forests can we live in without fear of being hunted or harassed? Where are the deer plentiful?

I'm 30. This has all been crap. I want to wake up, find food, love my family, play games, work the land a little, and sleep free of B.S. I want every day to be the same.

I just don't know how much longer I can take this fake, fake world and these games we play, the money we have to make, the dreams we must kill to satisfy cultural norms. Why don't we take to the trees again?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    If we left, where could we go? What forests can we live in without fear of being hunted or harassed? Where are the deer plentiful?

I'm 30. This has all been crap. I want to wake up, find food, love my family, play games, work the land a little, and sleep free of B.S. I want every day to be the same.

I just don't know how much longer I can take this fake, fake world and these games we play, the money we have to make, the dreams we must kill to satisfy cultural norms. Why don't we take to the trees again?
    According to Daniel Quinn,
    Beyond Civilization isn't a geographic space, it's a cultural space.

He draws parallels to the circus (not modern-day ringling brothers, but more the real traveling circuses), the voluntarily homeless population of young people in Seattle, and Gypsies, among others, as groups who live outside civilization culturally but within the geographic confines of democratic, capitalist society.

Huntress is offline Junior Member
    Ahhhh, I feel your pain. You are right - there is no where left completely untouched. The only way truly would be to buy enough land (preferably an island), claim your own independent nation state and defend it against the world!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Ahhhh, I feel your pain. You are right - there is no where left completely untouched. The only way truly would be to buy enough land (preferably an island), claim your own independent nation state and defend it against the world!
    And then you are inside your own machine. Which may not necessarily be an improvement.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill, I don't know if there's any way to live fully outside the machine any more. But you can definitely live on its outskirts and interact with it as much or little as you like. My wife and I are working on building ourselves a little cargo-van RV and living as nomads for a while. If you have any money you could also buy a little plot somewhere rural and/or mountainous and make your living working it, maybe working a craft for sale if there's something you're interested in making.

We're planning to be roving merchant-craftspeople for a while and see how that life suits us--maybe you can still figure out your own dream and live it somehow?

I get it though. The whole world is full of people and roads and developments and pollution and rules, which are another form of pollution, of course. But I think there's a case to be made for living on the edges of it in a way that retains most of the advantages--access to emergency medicine, the Internet, art and social interaction (when you want such things, which I know is a pretty low priority for you), without all the downsides like compulsive consumption, incessant competition, high cost of living, and shallow, petty and fake social niceties in place of real, deep relationships.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Well, there are large portions of the U.S. you could go to... assuming you had MILLIONS of dollars to buy the land :/ Or go back in time 60-70 years and hang out with my grandfather, great uncle and great grandfather.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I feel the same, but I do not see alternatives to working my butt off and then taking the early retirement to live the life of leisure.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I'm at the same place with my soul. I'm absolutely tired of playing this game of life where you always have to know what your next move is, and it always has to be "better" than your last. I graduate with a Bachelors degree in May, and that is when I plan to strike. Currently, I have no obligations, and I'm whittling down my personal belongings so that I can just catch the wind and see where it takes me. I've applied for the National Parks Services, just to try and get to some trees, but now I'm think more along the lines of WWOOFing(World Wide Opportunities for Organic Farms) which someone pointed out to me on a previous post. I think that would be a good start, living with a small community and simply working the earth, I just hope I can find a family that will provide pale-friendly fare. I am hoping that this will spark some creativity in me and will help me to see what I wan't to do for the next part of my life. Maybe it's grad school, maybe it isn't, but getting off the grid for a while will surely help me see more clearly.

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Implying that kind of life wouldnt get fucking boring in weeks if you dont have a decent sized group to live with.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast