Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein Problem page

middlemist camelia is offline Junior Member

Protein Problem

Am I the only person on the planet that does not feel sated by protein? I've been on Paleo and feel great. Experienced some fat loss initially, but am having trouble getting in enough protein. Strangely, since I've been on Paleo, I don't ever a taste for it and when I eat it, I'm rarely satisfied. Any thoughts? I would still like to lose a little more fat, but from everything I've read, I won't be able to do so without more protein???

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    0.7 - 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight for maitinance. Assume that you are not 100% lean, so subtract about 15 or so grams from overall weight (if lean) and subtract even more if your body fat percentage is a little higher.

Is this about what you are shooting for?

Once we know what you are aiming to hit as a target and why, we can provide better recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    0.7 - 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight for maitinance. Assume that you are not 100% lean, so subtract about 15 or so grams from overall weight (if lean) and subtract even more if your body fat percentage is a little higher.

Is this about what you are shooting for?

Once we know what you are aiming to hit as a target and why, we can provide better recommendations.

Soooo embarrassingly bad about math .... I am 5'6, weigh 133lbs., but have a little stubborn fat in my hips and thighs. For example, I had a coconut milk smoothie for breakfast (8oz. coconut milk, 1/2 banana, 1 c blueberries, 1/2 c. water); for lunch a medium sized eggplant; hand full of nuts for snack about 2 hours later; and for dinner 1/2 of a medium delicata squash roasted. I was completely satisfied... never hungry. FORCED myself to eat about 5-6 oz. chicken a few hours later, but DID NOT enjoy it.
    Is this weird? I've never really "craved" meat, but I've certainly never had an aversion to it.

Perhaps I'm so enamored with all the new veggies I'm trying for the first time in my life, I'm craving those more at this time? IDK, but I do want to lean out a little bit more.

Thanks for ANY insight you can provide.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I used EVOO and sea salt on the Eggplant; and pasture butter on the squash. The fats seem to be incredibly filling for me.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Get some real caveman food and forget about your veggies for a month or two...

How much is a "little stubborn fat?"

133 is not bad at your height. I'd say maybe shoot for about 100-110 grams of protein daily? Depends on overall composition though, and I can't be a judge of that right now.

I am thrilled to hear that you are trying so many new veggies. Maybe learn to cook them without butter or oils though, so that the fat doesn't fill you up? Then you can concentrate on getting the bulk of your fats from animal sources which will include protein.

that's funny Gorbag. original post defines the problem as not being sated by protein. i've done the low carb high protein thing before and been hungry. i must be a genetic mutation or something, it seems like most people say the opposite.
    Last edited by middlemist camelia; 12-05-2012 at 09:24 PM.

How much is a "little stubborn fat?"

133 is not bad at your height. I'd say maybe shoot for about 100-110 grams of protein daily? Depends on overall composition though, and I can't be a judge of that right now.

I am thrilled to hear that you are trying so many new veggies. Maybe learn to cook them without butter or oils though, so that the fat doesn't fill you up? Then you can concentrate on getting the bulk of your fats from animal sources which will include protein.
    100 grams = about how many ounces? anywhere from 130-135 is a good weight for me, but I just want it to be less squishy ya know?!

How many ounces of meat to how much protein depends on the meat you are eating. Leaner meats contain less fat, more protein per ounce and fattier meats have more fat, less protein.

I'd say go for fatty fishes (salmon, sardines, makeral), ground beef or pork, fatty roast cuts (don't trim the fat) as primary sources of protein to make sure that you get both adequate protein and fat in your diet.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How many ounces of meat to how much protein depends on the meat you are eating. Leaner meats contain less fat, more protein per ounce and fattier meats have more fat, less protein.

I'd say go for fatty fishes (salmon, sardines, makeral), ground beef or pork, fatty roast cuts (don't trim the fat) as primary sources of protein to make sure that you get both adequate protein and fat in your diet.
    Ok, will do - you've given me some good ideas: less fat on veggies, more fat in the meat. Gonna give that a fair shot. THANKS A BUNCH!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast