Thread: Muscle imbalance, is this a good fix? page

LockieKermit is offline Member

Muscle imbalance, is this a good fix?

Primal Fuel
    I made a previous thread about how to identify muscle imbalances...anyways

I have done alot of pushups over the years in highschool, and not alot of back work. So I think my shoulders lean to forward. Is doing a back exercise going to fix the problem?

For example - upper body: Pushups, 1 arm dumbell row, (12-15 reps) overgrasp pull-ups

Lower body - Lunges

I know you should use compound exercises but I simply cant get to a gym, nor do I care to go to one and all I have is dumbells with a decent amount of weight.

Should I add a shoulder exercise in their? if so a body weight exercise or a dumbell one?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I'd advise you get a professionally made routine to avoid further imbalance, but essentially you should do one Pull Movement for every Push, and one hip-dominant, for every quad dominant to avoid an imbalance.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    If you have been predominantly pushing for several years with no pulling, and you have developed forward or rounded shoulders. I would recommend that you need to do progressively more pulling than you are pushing to catch up and fix the imbalance. Add in a seated row, pull ups or lat pull down, bent over row, and all variations of back exercises. Also supplement with some stretches of your pecs. A good one is a corner stretch, look it up its easier that way than trying to explain. Also with excessive pushing you can get a tight pec minor, so google pec minor stretches.

I am a certified athletic trainer, so I see a bunch of this type of things in my overhead athletes who all they do is bench and then they get overuse shoulder injuries because of it.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agreed... push/pull.

I do a series at home sometimes with a weight vest and cinder blocks for increased leverage and it goes like this:

Pushups/Bodyweight Rows
    Pullups/Pike Presses
    Pistols/Lunges